• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

schizoaffective disorder

~minnie~

~minnie~

whats schizoaffective disorder? help please

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
It is a cross between scitzopherina and bio-polar.

I

IDream

I am diagnosed Schizo-Affective Disorder.

It's also called UniPolar Disorder - basically like bi-polar but without the mania.

The main underlying state is depression. But what makes the condition Schizo Affective is it shares similar symptoms of schizophrenia - basically pychosis.

Ive had 5 psychoses - first in 1990, then 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006.

It's probably one of the less common mental illnesses (I notice there is not a designated section for Schizo Affective Disorder on this website) and therefore less understood.

I think it is less severe than schizophrenia, in that most sufferers can lead "normal" lives - by which I mean, can hold down a steady job and maintain social relationships. (Apologies to schizophrenia sufferers here - I dont mean to imply schizophrenics are unable to lead "normal" lives).

I tend to generally be depressed, but not severely, but can float in and out.
I also can be anxious in social situations, but the meds seem to control that to a certain extent. I can be "detached" mentally from people too.

Hope this sheds some light on it for you.

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
I have scitzo-affective disorder and there is in fact 2 types, the depressive type and bi-polar type. I have the bi-polar type where you have symptoms of mania/depression/hallunations/paranoria.

I know that some people think it is less severe than scitzopherina but my personal experience of it is that is has ruined my life. I can't hold down a job i can't even look after my children and my daughter is currently living with my parents. I certainly don't see it as an easy illness the opposite in fact.

~minnie~

~minnie~

but what I dont understand is that I am not depressed ro dont feel high or low and yet I have been diagnosed with this disorder

*baffles me*

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
minnie. What symptoms DO you have? We might be able to help clarify it for you.

~minnie~

~minnie~

I hear voices especially gods voices commanding me to do bad things which I have done in the past
I dont like going out because of the mindreaders following me everywhere reporting back to god what I have done and said
I dont sleep properly some nights I dont sleep at all
I cant concerntrate for a long period of time and also I am suspicious about people around me

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
Do you get periods of depression or mania? If you don't and your only symptoms are the ones you mention i personally don't think you have scitzo-affective disorder. Obviously i am no expert and that is just my personal opinion. Are they the only symptoms you get?

~minnie~

~minnie~

yeah they say that I dont shower or wash my clothes
I dont eat or drink much cos its poison
they say I talk to myself alot too....which I dont believe I do but they insist I do
they do say that I get depressed but I dont feel that I do (if that makes sense)

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
I get all the symptoms you mention but have big periods of depression and mania as well.

To be honest at the end of the day the diganosis is not so important as the treatment you get.

Are you on medication and does it work?

Sorry for all the questions. Over the years i have had quite a few different diganosis which is a bit annoying when dealing with doctors etc. The best thing to do is type in scitzo-affective disorder into google and read up on all the information to see if it sounds like you. I would google scitzopherina as well as that is another possibility. At the end of the day you are suffering and it does not matter what label they put it, it won't change how you feel.

~minnie~

~minnie~

I am on risperidone consta injections 37.5mg
I am on 2mg haloperidol nightly

thanks I will try googling it and see what it says

to be honest I dont really like to be diagnosed with anything cos I feel well