• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

schizoaffective disorder

H

happyhappy

Founding Member
Does anyone have any knowledge of this?
I was on another forum talking about my hallucinations which are becoming more and more commonplace. I had kinda got used to the auditory but now I am having increasing visual. Daily. My dx is bipolar. Schizoaffective disorder was suggested on this other forum. I have looked it up. It makes sense. I know my pdoc is concerned about me as my support worker told me today. I know I am likely to be in hospital by monday if things don't improve. This feelks so big and I am really really scared.
Happy

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
Hi. I think it was me that mentioned scitzo-affective disorder on the other site. I do think because it is a more unusal disorder than bio-polar it is under diganosed because it is very close to bi-polar except the hallunasitions are very prominate where as in bi-polar they are only in some people who are very unwell. I get them even if i am well and at night i have problems sleeping because of the whispering in the walls. IT was me that said to my Phsydoc that i thought that was what i had and he looked into it and agreed so i do think it is under-diganosed. I am currently taking quertipine 600mg and sodium valporate 1,000mg.

H

happyhappy

Founding Member
Thanks Scooby. Yes, it was us on the other site. Sorry...I didn't want tyou to realise how spooked I was. Ifeel bad for this.
I have looked it up and a lot of it makes sense. I am getting hallucinations more and more. I have gotten quite used to the audortory ones. Sometimes they freak me some times they dont.
The visual is increasing. Sometimes I get really scared. At tother time it seems the most normal thing in the world.
I think my pdocs and cpn concern is what is freakig me most. I told my cpn today about my floating cats hallucination and I didn't tell her it with any real worry as it was one of the ones that didn't, scare me too much. Her silence scared me mor. She was driving at the time though so maybe it was that.
I see my doors move all the time. I have to keep shutting them cos I amscared they are moving. Then I think my chair is moving....just out of the corner of my eye but I start to panic and get too scaref to looka t it.
I take quetiapine 600 and valproate 2000
Happy

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
Hi. Maybe you might need to change to another anti-phychotic or up the quertipine. I must admit the 600mg does not get rid of the voices completly but as i am trying to get my 11 year old daughter back i don't want to be totally out of it. It is all very unsettling when you don't know what is real and what is not. I have not had what you have had, my visual hallunasions have involved me talking to people who were not there which was abit embarasing. Hope you get sorted. Unfortunatly i have found that it is a case of trying to live life as best you can. I don't go out much cos my voices try to make me kill myself and speak very nasty about the people i am around.