• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Schizoaffective Disorder and benefit claims.

porkpie

porkpie

Is it the general consensus that people with Schizoaffective Disorder / schizophrenia have a much higher change of being awarded Employment Support Allowance and Personal Payment Allowance? I've been reading the internet on various websites over the years and people with such illness do better getting benefits then other forms of mental illness. Is this the case?

Last edited:
shaky

shaky

Is it the general consciousness that people with Schizoaffective Disorder / schizophrenia have a much higher change of being awarded Employment Support Allowance and Personal Payment Allowance? I've been reading the internet on various websites over the years and people with such illness do better getting benefits then other forms of mental illness. Is this the case?
It did me no good at all.
I was applying for PIP though.
They didn't even ask for a diagnosis.
I scored zero - got nothing. :(

S

seriouslydisturbed

In my experience you still need a CPN and a psychiatrist to back you up. And if you have a CPN take them to the ATOS face to face meeting with you. In my earlier years which was not all that long ago I was turned down for benefits and had to appeal. One time I ended up on job seekers allowance and I could just not cope with the visits to the job centre never mind getting a job, this led to me quitting my medication and relapsing.

F

flyer

If you need a psychiatrists letter but have been disharged just ask your GP to write to your previous psychiatrist for a supporting letter.

hth

fazza

fazza

It all depends on how the illness affects you day by day. When you have your face to face (not all applicants have to have this) you have to tell them how you feel you can't do.

I have schizophrenia and sometimes i need help remembering to change my clothes and help with cooking as in the past i believed the food was contaminated. I don't go out on my own because i worry that people are stealing my thoughts.

All this adds up. Good luck