• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

schizo-affective disorder

V

Viktoria

What is it?
I take clozapine 450 (still building up) and I might get lithium. I've also had electro shock but stopped after three sessions but they might want to restart it.
I want to know what's wrong with me, because I don't feel ill...
I hear four spiritual voices, I'm suicidal and mostly 1-1 and seclusion and my mood is low. Does that make me schizo-affective?

Kerome

Kerome

Hi Viktoria, nice to see you on here again :) I hope things are going better, I'm afraid I don't know much about schizoaffective, here's a short description from wikipedia which may explain what they are saying:

Schizoaffective disorder (abbreviated as SZA or SAD) is a mental disorder characterized by abnormal thought processes and deregulated emotions. The diagnosis is made when the patient has features of both schizophrenia and a mood disorder—either bipolar disorder or depression—but does not strictly meet diagnostic criteria for either alone. The bipolar type is distinguished by symptoms of mania, hypomania, or mixed episode; the depressive type by symptoms of depression only. Common symptoms of the disorder include hallucinations, paranoid delusions, and disorganized speech and thinking.
So I assume voice hearing and believing voices covers the schizophrenia type symptoms and abnormal thought processes, and the suicidality and low mood are the mood disorder. So yes you do seem to tick some of the boxes for schizoaffective.

SarahD

SarahD

Hello Viktoria, I am glad you are posting, everyone was worried when we didn't hear from you.

I have schizoaffective disorder. Kerome is right, it is like a combination of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder or depression. For treatment an antipsychotic, like clozapine, is often prescribed, with a mood stabiliser, like lithium. If you have depression rather than the bipolar type you may be given an antidepressant. If you have bipolar type antidepressants are not so often used because they can trigger mania.

You don't feel you are ill because people with this diagnosis can have delusions that seem very real.

SadSoul

SadSoul

When i have heard voices i didn't know at the time i was hearing voices. When i have had delusions, i didn't know they were delusions. It's very confusing.

V

Viktoria

Thanks for the replies. I find it hard to believe I'm ill apart for maybe depression. The voices I see as spiritual but here they say it's psychosis. I can sometimes see people too, a young girl who's very shy.
I want to go to their world. It's so much better than here.
But the clozapine is forced so if I don't drink it they inject it.
Here they say I should apply for euthanasia because it's a better way of saying goodbye but I have to die with water.

A couple of weeks ago I was the closest, my parents were called to say I might come to die, I was in a coma.
Now I feel up and down. I have to sleep in seclusion and I hate it there...

SadSoul

SadSoul

It must be very hard for you to have stopped living and be spending all of your time in hospital. I don't think your diagnosis matters, you are clearly just having a shit time and that is all that you need think about. Whatever you are going through, it isn't nice and i'm not surprised you want to escape it through death. I went through the same thing. When i was psychotic i wasn't thinking about diagnosis though, i was lost in another world. That doesn't matter though, we are all different, what matters is that you are being looked after and eventually you will come through, whether you can see that right now, i don't know, i don't think you can, but you will get through it and figure all of this out.

fazza

fazza

But the clozapine is forced so if I don't drink it they inject it...
Viktoria clozapine can be a very nasty drug and it is not available in an injectable so they must be injecting you with something else (haldol perhaps)

With clozapine you have to have weekly bloodtests to check your white blood cell count and if you refuse the clozarill center will not allow any clozapine to be prescribed.

Ask them what you have been prescribed.

I was diagnosed with schizoaffective in 2009 but was later changed to schizophrenia. I know it is hard but take the meds they give you they will really help and then you will get out of there
good luck

V

Viktoria

Thanks for the replies. They can inject it though it is very hard fluid so very painful. I get it as a drink so they could just put the drink in an injection.
They take blood every week, I'm waiting on the results.
But they now as soon as I am discharged I'll stop taking it. I'm sectioned though which will become a cto so they could force me to keep taking it or else make me inpatient again.

The doctors are really struggling with my diagnosis. Schizophrenia, schizoaffective, depression, bipolar, BPD... I have a long mental health history.

I just want to get out and go to becky but I've ruined it by saying the wrong thing. New chance on Tuesday.

My voices are screaming, it's so tiring. I want to get out of seclusion where I've slept for the last three months. Since Thursday I'm allowed to come out during the day.

I believe it's spiritual not mental.
I'm also homeless which doesn't help...I have no where to go when discharged.

Does anyone believe it could be people communicating with me rather than psychosis?

fazza

fazza

Oh Viktoria. It sounds like hell for you at the moment. If you dont drink the medication they can't put the drink in to the injection it does not really work like that. You can't mess around with clozapine like not taking it one day then starting again a week later as they will have to start the dose from the begining again. Chances are they are going to wait for you to become stable again before they even consider discharging you.

V

Viktoria

Then they would have lied about injection. I'm not in UK though maybe it's different?
Yeah they won't discharge me before they believe the suicidal thoughts are completely gone. I deny being suicidal but they don't believe me. I don't know how to convince them...

V

Viktoria

I just smoked some and at least feel more relaxed

T

thrill

I see in an other thread that you are smoking weed, so what you have could well be drug induced psychosis.

I think it's vital that you're truthfull with the doctors.

If there are talking about lithium then that rules out schizophrenia.

Clozapine like fazza says is not injectable, what they will be injecting you with is probably acuphase.

Last edited:
V

Viktoria

It's not drug induced, I smoke a few times a year. And I didn't smoke for months before I was admitted.

I can't be truthful with the doctors cause then I'll be in seclusion forever.

Yeah lithium perhaps for schizoaffective but they can't figure out if I'm depressed or have ever been manic.

They really told me they could inject it and that it's painful. Why would they lie to me?

Last edited:
Passionflower

Passionflower

Clozapine is available as a fast acting injection.It is not available as a depot so they are not lying to you Viktoria.