• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Scary Weather

R

Roxy

Founding Member
Would you all agree that wintry weather and its effect on anxiety/depression can cause even more debilitating symptoms?

Up here in the West of Scotland we have had constant freezing cold winds and rain for so long that its really getting me down. Right now the wind is howling and I personally find that really scary, plus it causes my mood to plummet and my body to seize up all over.

Experts are forever telling us that we should help ourselves by getting out and about in the fresh air, right now i'd say thats impossible, unless you're keen to end up in intensive care, either by being blown in front of a bus or contracting pneumonia. Don't know if you southerners are having it any better but I bet we're all looking forward to some decent spring sunshine where hopefully things will look a lot brighter and cause us to feel more positive.

Anyway, i've just looked out the window and noticed that two fences in the back garden have came down, will have to tend to that later, or will I?, knowing me it'll stay that way for a while till I get some motivation.

Time for a cuppa while I mull over the importance of a broken fence!!:confused::tea:

M

maudikie

To Roxie.

There is a condition that is known as SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and I am sure that the weather does have an effect on us mortals - as welll as the poor little animals, thouh some of them hibernate. That's not a bad idea! I know how you feel about the wind, as when I was a chilld we lived on top of a hill, and I had a small bedroom with a chimney in it. When the wind blew hard it would wake me up and I would run into my parents bedroom calling "Mummy - Will it blow the house down"? It was very scary.
I shouldn't put your fence up straight away, wait until the stormy weather has abated. And keep a small sort of diary so that when the weather is good in the summer months you give everywhere outside a good inspection, see that all is in order, and if anything needs battonning down do it when the weather is good.
Lovely lovely Scotland. - I have only visited it three times,and it was beautiful. My maternal grandfather hailed from a Scottish family and was great Burns man. Years ago he would visit Scotland on Burns night for the celebrations.
Put some plugs in your ears, a rug round your knees and have a nice Cuppa tea. with just a wee drap. And I mean a wee drap as we don't want an alcoholic on our hands.:tea:
Cheer up, spring and summer will soon be here, and think of the heather and wild deer!

Best wishes.:clap:

M

maudikie

Roxy

Summer is coming so look forward to walking the hills. It's still wet and miserable downd here in the South. Get y ourself a hobby in preparation for next winter, for though it may not be as bad as this year, there will no doubt be days when ou can't get out without getting soaked and blown away!
Time for that cuppa again!:tea:

R

Roxy

Founding Member
Yeh, I noticed that you were all battered by some stormy gales last week. I'm hoping that things will improve soon as i'm craving some long days in the warm sunshine. There's no doubt that we all feel more upbeat and happier when the sun is shining. I know someone who spent 6 months working in a deprived area in Australia, where unemployment was rife, but the locals seemed to suffer less from depression and associated disorders than us northern europeans.

But before I rush off and book my plane ticket, i'll follow your example and make myself a nice cuppa and read the papers. We'll leave the thoughts of emigration for another day!!:cool::tea:

M

maudikie

toRoxy

A chap went for his passport to goto Australia. It was refused. "Why" he asked . do you still have to be a criminal to go to Aussie?
I believe youabout the wether.!:clap:

Paradoxeverywhere

Paradoxeverywhere

Founding Member
Just wait for that nice first thunderstorm of spring.

M

maudikie

Paradoceverywhere.

We've already had our t hunder storms, but probably more to come. At least it#s showing signs of sunshine today.:):):tea:

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
Dull weather always has an effect on me, I feel really down and depressed. I have noticed my dog too, he's a Cairn Terrier and if the sun isn't out he gets morose too, probably caught it off me poor soul.

D

Dollit

When we get those really heavy summer showers the little cat sits in the window and tries to catch every raindrop that hits the window!

On the subject of rain. I was at a parks group conference last year and we had a guest speaker who talked about the floods last year. He is a very clever man and he said that the rainfall we had was not extra heavy but it was prolonged and that the reason for the flooding was that the drains couldn't cope with the extra. He said that as extra houses and flats are being built they aren't being built with front gardens or, in some cases, totally without gardens. As parking becomes more problematic people are concreting over their front gardens. As a result the soil that was there to absorb the rain is no longer there and floods result. So, if you don't want floods, sell your car and make your garden grow again!

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
Hi Roxy,

I'm a new member and just read your post with regards to the weather.
I have terrible anxiety during the bad weather spells we've been having (I'm on the east coast).

R

Roxy

Founding Member
Hi Yakuza and:welcome:to the forum. Yes, like yourself the horrendous weather impacts hugely on me. I had some helpful tips from maudikie which are worth trying. Thankfully the end is in sight, spring is acoming, with all the lovely daffodils and croci etc. in bloom. If it does rear it's ugly head again just try to focus on something you enjoy, be it reading, watching tv or any hobby you like and hopefully it'll soon pass.:hug:

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
To Roxy

Thanks Roxy,I sometimes try music which can be helpful especially when browsing the web.
I have to be careful about certain distractions though as I get terribly worried about what I may or may not be hearing.
You're quite right to be positive about spring,it'll be here soon and all will be forgiven :)

T

telemetry9

I remember that someone at a depression group meeting told me that in the summer - no one came and that it was only in the winter the room was full of people. i'm not sure how true that is.

I wanted to go out today but the wind is really bad and it's also really cold. My hobby is photography but it suffers when the weather is as bad as it is now. It won't be long though till things warm up (please no repeat of last summer, please God).

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
I hate it when it's too warm,it brings on anxiety and seixures.
If I take too many chances outside I usually end up in the back of an ambulance.

I do enjoy good mornings before the heat hits you,it's nice to walk the dog in the early hours,full of therapy that one !

T

telemetry9

I often feel guilty on warm days for not wanting to go out. You can see the sun shining and feel its warmth but it doesn't penetrate into your spirit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2