• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Scars ??

K

Kaerecovers

Hi, so today im officially 5 months clean. And I can promise, I will never self harm again! I managed to recover from self harm all by myself, no therapists! But im very insecure about my scars. I hate telling people that I did that to myself. Could you give me any other excuse as to how i could have gotten such scars? Instead of self harm, I wanna say something else, in case someone asks.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

Bushwhacking: to clear a path or advance through thick woods especially by chopping down bushes and low branches.

J

Julian93

I never know what to tell people either. I usually end up just being ridiculously awkward about it. I think it’s so rude of people too. Although it’s usually kids that ask. mine are so obviously sh scars that there’s nothing I could say it is that would be remotely believable. I think I need some snarky response for the adults that must ask, lol

I

itsmeagain

Hi, so today im officially 5 months clean. And I can promise, I will never self harm again! I managed to recover from self harm all by myself, no therapists! But im very insecure about my scars. I hate telling people that I did that to myself. Could you give me any other excuse as to how i could have gotten such scars? Instead of self harm, I wanna say something else, in case someone asks.
Many will guess due to the pattern.
You could just cover them up. Or tell the truth.
If they judge, tell them to get lost. 😕🙄😉

TheSadnessWillLastForever

TheSadnessWillLastForever

I tell adults that "my cat has extra sharp claws" and if they never ask to explain. They either get it and don't talk about it, or they don't get it but don't ask about it. I usually tell kids that "sometimes when people were mean to me, it made me feel bad and I started being mean to myself. But I learned that I need to love myself even when people are mean to me, because I deserve to feel loved. Everyone does." Kids tend to understand better than adults tbh

kimidare

kimidare

When I began to work, I was scared that somebody can remark and ask me about my scars. Maybe yours are more visible, I don t know.
But after 2 years, it seems that people are blind and don t see anything so it s okay.
Only those who already had some similar issues have the reflex to look.
I know that one of my colleague did it.

You can just answer that you didn t want to talk about that or answer with an other question.

kimidare

kimidare

And congratulations for your 5 months ! :cheer:

LittleMissNameless

LittleMissNameless

congrats
I find adults tend not to really say anything, it takes someone who completely disregards social norms to actually say anything. and if they do you just say whatever you want/need to.

for kids I find they are genuine with their curiosity and also they're stupid so just say it was an accident