• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

scars

M

maybe81

I self-harmed about 5-6 months ago, pretty deep on my arms. I managed to control the bleeding and it stopped and I have controlled my impulses since, but some of the marks have not disappeared, does it take a while for them to fade completley? Will they eventually go or will I need to use creams to help them fade. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

It very much depends on the type of scar.
Not sure if you've heard of keloid scars? It's basically a term used for scars that generally grow bigger and stick out more than the wound itself.
With keloid scars, they don't heal as well as other scar types and you will be left with a scar, even if it fades.

Creams and oils can become expensive and there isn't a lot of research to show that they make a huge amount of difference. However, it may be worth trying - particularly if the scar was made 6 months ago.

I think they say that generally, if a scar is older than two years then creams won't help. But you're within the time frame for it to make some difference, so it's really up to you.

B

Bell456

Personally I can't find a patten with scaring. Sometimes there is nothing. Sometimes it fades with time and others it doesn't go away. I truly hope they fade for you but if they don't it is important to remember not to be ashamed or embarrassed by them. They are a part of who you are and once you accept them things will be a lot easier. :) good luck :)

M

maybe81

Thank you SomersetScorpio for the information. They are slightly raised when I run my hand over them and paranoid people with notice them so wearing tops with long sleeves. I'll go and buy some cream and hope they fade. Even if they fade a little bit would be good :)

Last edited:
M

maybe81

Thanks bell456, I'll try not to be embarrassed about them but it's hard. I don't want to answer questions or have people talk about me. Thank you for you post as your right, they are a part of me and in a way a reminder for myself to stay strong :)