• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Scars and holidays

M

Mumbojumbo93

I am going on a girls holiday next year for the first time since I have scars, I have been on previous holidays with some of these friends when I was scar free! I can’t not go on this holiday and I also can’t let my scars be seen. None of these friends know I have self harmed. I have large scars which cover the top of my thigh. Currently all I can think to do is get a massive tattoo which I don’t want. I know there’s make up but it isn’t going to make them disappear! What can I do, the holiday isn’t until next summer and already stressing myself over it. I am in my late twenties and self harm free since March. TIA

E

Eirlys

Is it something you can talk to these friends about? As I've been using bio oil on my scars for a few months and haven't noticed much change so far but to be honest I haven't massively looked into ways of getting rid of them. Also, by next year they will have faded more so might be less noticable and your friends could just decide not to comment on them anyway. I have worn outfits with friends where my scars would have been visible and they haven't mentioned them at all. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help but hope this might help a little :)

CatLord

CatLord

Agree with @Eirlys . Those are your friends. They will understand. Being honest is the best you can do, but I wouldn't suggest you just to spit everything out in one breath. And if you start earlier, they will get used to it and when the holiday comes, they will be just fine. What do you think ?

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
Are they flat or do you think they will heal flat? If so makeup will be pretty good and it is waterproof. You can get them specially mixed so they are a really good match to your skin colour.

M

Mumbojumbo93

Agree with @Eirlys . Those are your friends. They will understand. Being honest is the best you can do, but I wouldn't suggest you just to spit everything out in one breath. And if you start earlier, they will get used to it and when the holiday comes, they will be just fine. What do you think ?
Well it’s a hen party so there’s some people I won’t know and I just don’t want anyone seeing them especially not strangers to me, also one of the ladies is family to me and I certainly don’t want my family seeing so cover up really is my best and only option!

M

Mumbojumbo93

Are they flat or do you think they will heal flat? If so makeup will be pretty good and it is waterproof. You can get them specially mixed so they are a really good match to your skin colour.
Sadly not, I did buy some make up online dermablend and something else I think but they were poor, maybe something professional is the way forward

Mal84

Mal84

As you have some on the top of your thigh, shorts or even three quarter length trousers would cover them.

If you feel they aren’t a option, I would start with bio oil now as you have a year to see how much they will fade. You never know, they may fade perfectly.

Also well done for being sh free since March :)