• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Scared

R

riverofdragons

On Monday I was prescribed anti-psychotics to take alongside my anti depressant medication. So far I only have a diagnosis of Depressive illness. I wont be starting the meds until i get back from a few days at the beach (24th).

I have read a lot of scare stories about these meds making you gain loads of weight, causing brain damage and turning you into a zombie. True or not these have not been helpful to me.

The best advice I have been given is to 'forget what it is you are taking'.

I'm stuck in a cycle of thoughts - trying to think over my experiences that lead me to this point. Trying to answer the question...is the voice in my head mine? Is it normal (at least in depression) to have a constant interupting thought that tells you the answer is self harm/suicide? Can my obsessive spending be cured with these meds?

I don't know what to think...did I mis-communicate my experiences to my psychiatrist? I'm scared...but not sure if im more scared of the tablets working or them not working....

I'm scared they will stop me driving more than anything...I can't walk more than a few hundred yards without extreme pain....without my car I will never be able to leave the house. Then I will go crazy.

The prescription has me going round in a new version of hell. Im so scared.

dib4uk

dib4uk

On Monday I was prescribed anti-psychotics to take alongside my anti depressant medication. So far I only have a diagnosis of Depressive illness. I wont be starting the meds until i get back from a few days at the beach (24th).

I have read a lot of scare stories about these meds making you gain loads of weight, causing brain damage and turning you into a zombie. True or not these have not been helpful to me.

The best advice I have been given is to 'forget what it is you are taking'.

I'm stuck in a cycle of thoughts - trying to think over my experiences that lead me to this point. Trying to answer the question...is the voice in my head mine? Is it normal (at least in depression) to have a constant interupting thought that tells you the answer is self harm/suicide? Can my obsessive spending be cured with these meds?

I don't know what to think...did I mis-communicate my experiences to my psychiatrist? I'm scared...but not sure if im more scared of the tablets working or them not working....

I'm scared they will stop me driving more than anything...I can't walk more than a few hundred yards without extreme pain....without my car I will never be able to leave the house. Then I will go crazy.

The prescription has me going round in a new version of hell. Im so scared.
Hon, I understand how your feeling- I can sence your panic from your post. But try not to worry, and try and take one day as it comes. Psychiatrist can spot some disorders pretty easy, and they need to make sure. The anti-psychotic medicines could stop you having the thoughts that might be associated with you spending things that you dont need.

Yes the less you panic about what medicine youre taking then the better off you will be... the more you panic- the less effective it will be.

:flowers:

R

riverofdragons

Thanks, yeah, I do need to relax and just wait and see. My initial thoughts were that the psych thought I was schizophrenic but having read up now its unlikely. Did read a bit more about bipolar, and there are symptoms there that surprised me..its a possibility.

Talked a lot with my housemate about the meds and he really thinks they could help. So I'm going to give them a try...I make his life hell when I am very ill, so doing it partly for him. Though he is convinced I am borderline like his ex girlfriend.

I know I should be discussing this with my psychologist at the weekly appointments, but I have cancelled the last two due to feeling so ill. I also find it difficult to talk about the symptoms that led to the new meds...feeling like im making a big deal out of nothing.

All the CBT stuff I am doing with the psychologist makes sense and I can apply the logic etc, but I never really believe it. Think this is due to the interupting 'voice' that puts things in my head - for example, i go to make toast and we have run out of bread...'voice' says go back to room and cut. Maybe I have given into it too much but its very compelling....hard to explain I think. Anyway, if the meds fix that CBT will work better im guessing.

Im in a bit of a high mood right now...slept 3 hours out of the last 48 and still not tired. Going to the beach tomorrow until saturday...really hoping I can relax and come back ready to face the world.
(y):clap:(y)

schiz01

schiz01

Maybe hold off until you speak to your psychologist ....you could also arrange to get a second opinion from another doctor.Tell them about your concerns and see what other ideas they can come up with.
A small dose of anti psychotics for a short time is unlikely to do you any harm ..large doses over long periods is a different matter.
Its not for me to say weather you should take them or not....some people say meds help them others say they don't.
I am of the belief that meds wont fix all your problems for you .....hard work and help from a psychologist will help you most.
As for your spending...just STOP spending ...you'll be less stressed and that has got to be good for your mental well being.

Q

quality factor

Maybe hold off until you speak to your psychologist ....you could also arrange to get a second opinion from another doctor.Tell them about your concerns and see what other ideas they can come up with.
A small dose of anti psychotics for a short time is unlikely to do you any harm ..large doses over long periods is a different matter.
Its not for me to say weather you should take them or not....some people say meds help them others say they don't.
I am of the belief that meds wont fix all your problems for you .....hard work and help from a psychologist will help you most.
As for your spending...just STOP spending ...you'll be less stressed and that has got to be good for your mental well being.
Some people find actually stopping spending almost as difficult as stopping smoking or stopping a drug habit, it is hard. There is likely to be just as much stress in stopping as there is in the consequences of spending in he first place.
Stopping spending is about a controlled, gradual approach like any other habit.
The Gp must have prescribed the anti-psychotics for a reason, it is your choice whether you try them, people react in different ways to various medications.

QF.

schiz01

schiz01

Some people find actually stopping spending almost as difficult as stopping smoking or stopping a drug habit, it is hard. There is likely to be just as much stress in stopping as there is in the consequences of spending in he first place.
Stopping spending is about a controlled, gradual approach like any other habit.
The Gp must have prescribed the anti-psychotics for a reason, it is your choice whether you try them, people react in different ways to various medications.

QF.
Sorry if i came across as insensitive
I have have found total abstinence to be the only way of beating an addiction

R

riverofdragons

My spending isn't an addiction. Its more like a cycle. I have periods where my money goes quickly and I have items I have bought, but dont always remember purchasing.

Even if it was an addition its not something that can be dealt with by stopping spending altogether...what about food, bills etc??

Q

quality factor

My spending isn't an addiction. Its more like a cycle. I have periods where my money goes quickly and I have items I have bought, but dont always remember purchasing.

Even if it was an addition its not something that can be dealt with by stopping spending altogether...what about food, bills etc??
My spending goes in cycles too, I'm on a no spending cycle at the moment!!

I moved house 12 months ago, I came across so much stuff that I had absolutely no recollection of buying...it was quite disturbing. Now most of it is unused in the garage. I suppose I ought to try and sell it on but for some strange reason I can't part with it. I have a 'thing' about gadgets.

My cpn has been trying to help me deal with my spending for three years now to no avail. If I have the urge I find controlling my spending very difficult, I have gone through thousands over the years.

As I said it is a complex problem and not easily dealt with. Just stopping does not enter the picture or solve things.

QF.

R

riverofdragons

I know what you mean about thousands....I was acutely ill just over 2 years ago....£16,000 in eight months....

Perfect credit rating to nothing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Eleison Other 15