• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Scared

A

Aprilmd

Am I the only one who thinks I will have a heart attack do to anxiety and panic attacks? Is this normal? How do people live with gad for years?

PetitPois

PetitPois

Hi @Aprilmd It is a normal fear with panic attacks or severe anxiety. It really does feel like that when it happens. The only way I know is to remind myself it is a panic attack and not a heart attack. Also there are many techniques we can try to help calm us back down. You will find lots of good suggestions on the internet. It doesn't always work, but many times it has for me :)

K

Keesha

No. Panic attacks can feel like heart attacks and they are very common.
How do people live with this for years?
I can’t speak for everyone but I think most people take medication of some kind.

A

Aprilmd

I started with panic attacks in 04 after watching my mom die, I was then put on Lexapro. It worked wonders for years, then I have to stop bc I got pregnant. I was off it for 4 years, then last year my dad had a stroke and it triggered it all back. On top of panic attacks I have been diagnosed with gad and ptsd. I tried the Lexapro again but it didn't agree with me. Even 2.5 I couldn't do. I now have Buspar and will not try it bc I am now afraid of meds. I am trying everything to deal with this on my own. And, I'm having a hard time

V

Vampire333

Normal. I feel like that too when it’s happening. More of the thought that I’ve gone crazy and I’m going to be locked in that feeling forever, like a bad trip. I don’t take medications anymore. Panic attacks suck.

A

Aprilmd

This generalized anxiety disorder has to be bad on a person's heart. It is rare I have good days lately. Mornings are the worst for me, and driving is a chore