• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Scared

dunglen

dunglen

Founding Member
hi

i have just been to see GP and he is referring me to the emergency psych people and i don't know what to do.

i have kept up a pretence of coping for those around me I am really scared I cannot back out of this.

he suggested i take 4 mg diazepam and stay safe until someone contacts me - what does that mean - men in white coats - i have neve been so scared in my life.

Anne

A

Apotheosis

This stuff can be scary, but allot of the fear, I have found, is in anticipation of what could happen. Remember that you do have rights, & "they" do have a duty of care to do what is in your best interests. Just talk about what you are comfortable sharing with them, & voice your own concerns & thoughts, if you have any with what they suggest.

I was first sectioned at 17, & I have been numerous times since. I enjoyed hospital the last few times I was there. I am not saying that they will take you away. The likelihood is that they will not, whatever you present them with. The system is geared far more for treatment within the community. My local hospital is closing beds & focusing far more at treating people within the home. Be aware that if they deem you as "a risk to yourself or others, & for the protection of yourself or others" - is the pretext for hospitalisation.

I have found all they really do is prescribe drugs - sometimes it is more helpful than others, but it is not a long term solution & it is far from a cure, although other people will have different ideas on meds, for me all it has done is suppress allot of what I feel & raised it's own problems. But with everything they have thrown at me over the years, I am still here & living independantly.

I am sure you will be OK. Please let us all know how you get on, I wish you all the very best.:grouphug:

Paul.

J

jooblue

don't be scared

Don't be scared, it might not seem like it right now but this is what you've been waiting for. The medics are only going to do things that will help you, and can't do anything without talking to you and discussing with you first.

I had a friend who had a very similar situation and was petrified because she though she'd lost custody of her son - everything starts running though your head but like Paul says, it's community based and they want to enable you to carry on your life without disruption, not make things worse for you.

You might be surprised that by letting it out you get a weight off - keeping up the pretence is so exhausting, and you'll be amazed at how much people will want to support you. Be strong, this is a good step in the right direction. :hug:

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Hi Anne, must be really scarey to have this occur for the first time. To be honest you need to go with the flow, in this sytem offering least resistance will get the process over and done with the quickest. Your goal is to be in and out and stabilised as quickly as possible, and that really requires you to cooperate. I have hated my times in hospital, but have played the game while in, the whole point really is to give you some 'solid ground' to stand on, and having come through the system it will help you to do this. There will probably be better systems in place in the future, but this is the best we have at the moment...

dunglen

dunglen

Founding Member
thanks

It is so good to be able to 'chat' to people who understand what I am going through.

i suppose it is the fear of the unknown that scares me most.

moving on from this desperate place has to be for the best.

not heard anything from anyone yet and the anticipation is causing my bowels to start working overtime.

anne

J

jooblue

The anticipation is one of the worst factors when you are waiting for something to happen, I know what you mean about the physical effects too - it doesn't help does it?!

Try doing something really mindless like rearranging all your socks and knickers in your cupboards to occupy your mind while you wait, sounds daft but it'll help pass the time.

dunglen

dunglen

Founding Member
hi

i feel such a failure right now - although i was geared up to tell my husband how i was feeling i bottled it and blamed my low feeling on a head cold.

well tomorrow is another day and perhaps the events of today will magically disappear and my depression will vanish!!!

anne

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Once youve talked to your husband hopefully that will lift some of the pressure on you. As has been discussed several times on this forum its the stigma attatched to mental health that is frightening, but remember one in four people will suffer from this.

Its highly unlikly you will be taken to hospital. If your gp thought it was that serious you would have been admitted b4 now.

I remember being terrified the first time i was sent. I had the idea that mental patients were dribbling shuffeling idiots making wierd noises. (sorry if that analogy upset anyone) There is a big difference between brain damage and mental health. I have met up with teachers, lawyers in fact all sorts thru my years of treatments

Dont be scared, accept the help offered and see how it goes:hug:

dunglen

dunglen

Founding Member
thanks

Feeling really low right now.

Have taken additional medication prescribed by gp yesterday - hope this kicks in soon.

Hubby has left me the car but I hope I can explain that it was not possible to drive today because i took medication. having the car at the door is really difficult as i am lucky enough to have passed my test but on the other hand it plays a major role in my plan to take my own life. I just need to keep safe for now as hoepfully these thoughts are temporary.

Anne

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
Anne

stay with us .. you'll be fine . My thoughts are with you my luvly :hug::hug:

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
thanks

Feeling really low right now.

Have taken additional medication prescribed by gp yesterday - hope this kicks in soon.

Hubby has left me the car but I hope I can explain that it was not possible to drive today because i took medication. having the car at the door is really difficult as i am lucky enough to have passed my test but on the other hand it plays a major role in my plan to take my own life. I just need to keep safe for now as hoepfully these thoughts are temporary.

Anne

Hi Anne

Just caught up with this ........... how are you feeling now ? :hug:

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Morning Anne

How you feeling today ? :hug:

D

Dollit

Hi all - I heard from Anne last night and she is feeling more settled. No doubt she'll pop in at some point to say hello. :grouphug:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Depression Forum 3
Fairy Lucretia Depression Forum 37
S Depression Forum 14
S Depression Forum 3
M Depression Forum 6