• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Scared

B

Bell456

Hi. This is my first time posting on any sort of site like this. Not really sure what I expect from it but here goes... I started self harming around 3 years ago (which has remained unknown to everyone) Not sure why as my life was pretty much perfect but anyway that's not the point of this thread. Last September my mum was diagnosed with cancer and since then I have been determined to stop harming as I have come to realise how important our bodies are and how we should care for them. Tonight is hard. I don't know why but tonight the urges are sudden and persistent. I'm sorry for burdening you with this information, I really don't know why I am writing this anyway, it's not like anyone can wave a magic wand and fix everything :p guess I was just wondering if anyone has any practical advice. Anything I can do to stop the urges. Though truthfully as you've probably guessed the urges are the least of my worries at the moment. Just what do I do? How to I stop myself falling apart? I can feel myself slipping away day after day and I don't know how to stop it.

B

Bell456

I don't mean to sound ungrateful but phrases like "stay strong" and "things will get better" are really useless to me. Just hoping someone has some practical advice. Thank you :)

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Bell, i'm so sorry you've not had any replies yet. :hug1:

First of all, welcome to the forum.
I'm sorry to hear about your Mum's illness. It must be a very difficult time for you and your family.

I think that sometimes, we are only human and most people do something that's damaging to themselves in order to cope. And whilst it's not ideal, I do just want to say please don't be too hard on yourself if you find yourself giving into any urges.

Have you found anything helpful to you so far?
I've just replied to another thread by a member - "Harm minimisation tips" - there are some good ideas on what you can do for alternatives and to help you take your mind off of the urges.

Out of interest, are you getting any support at the moment? GP, mental health team, counsellor.. anything like that?
If you're not getting any help along those lines, I do think it's worth reaching out. As you say, there is no magic wand but I wonder if you had somewhere you could release your feelings it might help you cope better overall.

Take care of yourself whatever you do. x

B

Bell456

Thank you for replying :) help isn't really an option at the moment unfortunately. My family don't know and with everything that is happening it's the last thing they need to think of. Also I'm hoping to go to uni in the summer and one of my conditions is a clear medical check to prove I have never received counciling or medication. (Which I know is stupid and extremely unfair but that's just the system for my course) I will read through the minimising tips. Thanks again :) xx

V

vimes

how is this medical check performed?
Do you need to show up or do they ask you for permission to check your medical records?
what course is this, what subject?

Last edited:
B

Bell456

It's a primary teaching course and both. They must have permission to see medical records and you must undergo an assessment :/ xx

B

Bell456

Thanks for replying. It's a primary teaching course and both. You must give permission for medical history to be seen and you have to undergo a mental health assessment :/ xx