• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

scared to volunteer, what to expect?

M

markn1996

so i decided to go for volunteering to potentially meet girls but hardly know anything about it. im extremely shy and socially awkward first and foremost and i applied at my local university medical center and don’t know what i will be doing?

first off, i am scared of interviews which it states

“When your file is complete we will contact you to set a time and date to do a brief interview so we can place you where we need help the most.”

i dont want to end up saying something stupid or mumbling or any kind.

and the second thing is, im scared ill have to introduce myself to a crowd, if i even have to? stuff like that makes me paranoid.

wanted to know if anyone else did it and how was it?

S

Sleepless57

I've volunteered for years, just never at a medical center. If you're looking for info on that specific type of volunteering, I can't help you. But if you're looking for general new volunteer advice I would be happy to help.

M

markn1996

I've volunteered for years, just never at a medical center. If you're looking for info on that specific type of volunteering, I can't help you. But if you're looking for general new volunteer advice I would be happy to help.

yes

H

hairybanana

so i decided to go for volunteering to potentially meet girls but hardly know anything about it. im extremely shy and socially awkward first and foremost and i applied at my local university medical center and don’t know what i will be doing?

first off, i am scared of interviews which it states

“When your file is complete we will contact you to set a time and date to do a brief interview so we can place you where we need help the most.”

i dont want to end up saying something stupid or mumbling or any kind.

and the second thing is, im scared ill have to introduce myself to a crowd, if i even have to? stuff like that makes me paranoid.

wanted to know if anyone else did it and how was it?
Is there a contact number or website you can look through to get an idea of the work they do? If you can speak to someone and explain your interested in a volunteer position and wanted a bit more information about the specific roles they have it might help alleviate some of the anxiety.

for interviews: I research things even if they have no relevance to the interview itself. Id read up info about the medical centre, just the general info like what work they do, when they were established, people who they help, peopple who work there etc. I’d read anything I can find about it to help alleviate my anxiety.

And as for crowd speaking: a lot of the people there will be shitting themselves about it too. Talking in a crowd is something a lot of people aren’t comfortable with. For me, I’d practice in my head what I’d say in case that happens. Just basic info like name, age, where you live, and maybe something interesting you would tell someone if you’d just them at the pub or something. Doesn’t have to be a big thing, you know?

Research and rehearse is how i get through these kinds of things

M

markn1996

Is there a contact number or website you can look through to get an idea of the work they do? If you can speak to someone and explain your interested in a volunteer position and wanted a bit more information about the specific roles they have it might help alleviate some of the anxiety.

for interviews: I research things even if they have no relevance to the interview itself. Id read up info about the medical centre, just the general info like what work they do, when they were established, people who they help, peopple who work there etc. I’d read anything I can find about it to help alleviate my anxiety.

And as for crowd speaking: a lot of the people there will be shitting themselves about it too. Talking in a crowd is something a lot of people aren’t comfortable with. For me, I’d practice in my head what I’d say in case that happens. Just basic info like name, age, where you live, and maybe something interesting you would tell someone if you’d just them at the pub or something. Doesn’t have to be a big thing, you know?

Research and rehearse is how i get through these kinds of things

do i have any opportunities to meet girls or not really cause i will be split up from the other volunteers?

H

hairybanana

do i have any opportunities to meet girls or not really cause i will be split up from the other volunteers?
Urm maybe? But maybe the volunteers do training together to start? Maybe there will be social things for the volunteers too, like getting together for a drink or dinner or something? Even if you don’t work closely alongside other volunteers there will most likely be opportunities to get together. Plus, probably worth doing to help conquer some of the anxiety 👍