• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Scared to exercise!

Nate

Nate

I've been scared to exercise lately because I'm afraid that a car is going to run me over. I don't trust people and think that some bad person will hit me while I'm walking just because their bad. I also suffer from health anxiety thinking I'll have a heart attack if I go out for a walk, so I sit home all day in fear. I told my pych doc about it and she said I need to force myself to go out, easier said than done. Does anyone else have similar fears?

SoftRain

SoftRain

I have this type of fear with driving. I make myself do it. Even though I feel like I am going to wreck or my car won't start etc. It really is a matter of making the choice to go out.

L

Laudanum

Assuming you haven't been diagnosed with cardiac issues, why not go for a short walk (with your phone on you) as an experiment? If you survive, then try a little longer the next day etc.

E

Ele123

Walk in a park where cars cant go? Or footpaths ?

Racer

Racer

i usually feel better once i get outside. i hope you can do it for yourself !

K

Keesha

I have this type of fear with driving. I make myself do it. Even though I feel like I am going to wreck or my car won't start etc. It really is a matter of making the choice to go out.
I get certain fears about going out but I also force myself to go. If I become my own enabler then my fears will only get worse. It IS a matter of making a logical healthy choice. I agree completely.

Once we start making exceptions for ourselves and making it ok, we then start expecting exceptions from others …… from family to friends to others. We have to be part of the solution.

P

Pennybrite

You can try a 10 minute walk. The next time try twenty minutes. The next time 30, etc...