• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Scared of school run

G

Georgia82

Hi
A week ago when I was at work I got really strong urges to seriously harm myself to see what it would feel like. I’ve not been to work since or left the house and I feel really anxious about having to take my son to school next week. He’s a teen and technically could walk but it’s 2-3 miles and I feel guilty. I’m worried the urges will come back I don’t feel up to leaving the house.

Last edited by a moderator:
00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

take a deep breath the feelings will pass and youll be back into your recovery. its only takes a few minutes for these emotions to cycle so keep occupied

B

Bigfoot

I'm not sure if you're saying that your desire to self harm was related to your guilt about allowing your teen to walk to school ? I started having some symptoms of agoraphobia because I was self isolating. I know some trips are really scary, but I think we should remind ourselves that small trips might be difficult but they are helpful in our recovery and we can tell ourselves they are an opportunity and not allow our brains to be filled with dread. Besides, I always feel good about myself even when I win a small victory. I hope this finds you well, Georgia.

G

Georgia82

The thought I had was to do something that could of harmed me potentially but that wasn’t the reason for doing it, the routine of the school run may trigger these thoughts again which is what I was worried about.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bigfoot

That makes sense. There is no reason in my mind to associate the two. It's rational to me to be frustrated with my mental issues, but it's not rational to me to label myself as a loser because I struggle sometimes. You're not your mental problems, it's just your brain doing what it does best, turn things into habits so they're easier to process. But life is a series of choices, it's not one bad day.

C

candycane

Hi
A week ago when I was at work I got really strong urges to seriously harm myself to see what it would feel like. I’ve not been to work since or left the house and I feel really anxious about having to take my son to school next week. He’s a teen and technically could walk but it’s 2-3 miles and I feel guilty. I’m worried the urges will come back I don’t feel up to leaving the house.
Try some deep breathing.
In and out.
In and out.
In and out.
In and out.
In and out.
I hope this helps you.