Scared of Pregnant Women

T

teddserberry

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I just wanted to see if anyone has advice for the situation I'm in...

I have had an irrational fear of pregnant women since I was a teenager. I can't look at them, I cross the street if they are walking towards me, and seeing a pregnant belly makes me vomit in my mouth. I've known this is a problem for awhile, and have gone to counselling for general anxiety help and coping. However, I just found out my sister is pregnant (first time anyone in my extended family has been pregnant). Since I will be around her all the time, and will see her belly quite a lot, I just don't think I can cope with that. I don't want to hurt her feelings, it's not her fault I feel this way, and I'm happy that she is happy.... but I still don't want to look at her.

She, and the rest of my family, knows that it makes me uncomfortable, but they don't know just how repulsed I am. I never saw the need to tell them after I told my mom years ago, and she told me I was a horrible person. So after that I just tell people kids make me uncomfortable and leave it at that. But this situation is different since she is my sister. I just don't know what to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice, or things they have done in similar situations, where they simply cannot avoid the object of their phobia?

Thanks in advance!

Flameheart

Flameheart

what is it about pregnant women? is it that you know there's something growing and moving inside as that would make sense to me

I used to also have an irrational phobia of my own and other peoples stomachs as a kid to the point I'd cringe when touching that area, it would gross me out thinking about what goes on inside it so I constantly associated those thoughts with stomachs, but I overcame this as I grew up

so maybe if you change your view on it, that might help or completely get rid of your irrational fear

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Phobia Forum 9
Azelka Phobia Forum 1