• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Scared of Medication

E

Elysia

Antidepressants have saved my life twice, once when I was a teenager and again last year, after I had weaned off my medication for a little over a year.
I am hearing a great deal of research and hearing a lot of talk saying that medication for mental disorders either dont work or ultimately cause more problems longterm than they solve short term.
I am tired of sorting through medication after medication in search of a good fit. I am scared that it's not even the right direction to take with my mental health. Last year there was no other option available to me; I couldn't get out of bed, therapy and a variety of wellness methods were ineffective.
I desperately want to get these drugs out of my system. But are they the only way I can be a healthy person?

Quijas6

Quijas6

Do you mind sharing what research you have read? I am of mixed minds about medication. Having been forced on them, I really don't like them and am upset at the side effects I experienced while on psychiatric medications. Yet maybe that was the only way from me to get out of a psychotic state? Also, my sister says that her antidepressant works wonders and she's so glad to be on it.

E

Elysia

Do you mind sharing what research you have read? I am of mixed minds about medication. Having been forced on them, I really don't like them and am upset at the side effects I experienced while on psychiatric medications. Yet maybe that was the only way from me to get out of a psychotic state? Also, my sister says that her antidepressant works wonders and she's so glad to be on it.
Anatomy of an epidemic is an audio book I'm listening to, recommended by a friend in the field. I've yet to do backup research but it honestly makes me feel like none of it matters-- researchers mess up trials, contaminate and change data, make honest mistakes based on personal biases. There are anecdotal accounts, but there's also a good deal of research and discussion about findings.
Again, these medications were the intervention that has saved my life. I know they work. But I'm 24 and it takes people 30 years sometime to figure out dosage or figure out they had the wrong diagnosis or to realize that a drug has changed them, made irreversible changes to pathways in their brains.
I mean I've been on medication that made everything 10x worse. Its all part of the game you have to play with the medical world, not that theyre its evil it's just hard to navigate on both sides and the thought that the things and places I'm going to for help are hurting me.
It boils down to we dont know enough about what's going on in each other's heads. Medical science has come far but it has so far to go.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Antidepressants have saved my life twice, once when I was a teenager and again last year, after I had weaned off my medication for a little over a year.
I am hearing a great deal of research and hearing a lot of talk saying that medication for mental disorders either dont work or ultimately cause more problems longterm than they solve short term.
I am tired of sorting through medication after medication in search of a good fit. I am scared that it's not even the right direction to take with my mental health. Last year there was no other option available to me; I couldn't get out of bed, therapy and a variety of wellness methods were ineffective.
I desperately want to get these drugs out of my system. But are they the only way I can be a healthy person?
I think many people on psych meds feel much the same way. I also wonder if they do much other than lead to weight gain and liver damage but I won’t go off them because I’m too afraid to find out ...

P

Purpleplum

I was around before SSRI's were made and the old drugs only made you feel like a groggy zombie. When SSRI's came out, it was like night and day. I thought this is what normal people must feel like. The poor people that lived years before these came out.

Sure, they have side effects and they might poop out after years and it has to be adjusted, but they are a million times better than what came before this.

Keep trying to find the right one or the right combination. You could need it for life. It is a defect in your brain, often hereditary. With some, it is hormones like after pregnancy

Therapy will help too but it's hard to find a good therapist.