• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Scared of making phone calls

zula77

zula77

I found out on Monday what is worse than a phone call.... I had to do a Microsoft Teams meeting call with 3 other people, including my Manager and HR. You see them, they see you, even more horrible is you can see yourself. I was explaining my MH stuff in detail and absolutely lost it, crying, snotting, generally being revolting. And having to watch myself do it. It has genuinely traumatised me!
Yes teams is terrifying, I naively went into a meeting not really understanding what it was and when I realised everyone could see and hear me I panicked, exited everything and turned my laptop off and just sat for ages trying to calm down....video calling is a major source of anxiety for a lot of people at the moment I think

S

Shay94

I also hate talking on the phone mostly due to my anxiety as I immediately start feeling nervous, my stomach gets super tight etc. But its also coz I have a hearing problem so I'm never able to hear people well enough over the phone, if I do have to speak with someone then I try making it as quick as possible. If the person on other end of the line continuously talks bout shit, I also start pacing... its my anxiety getting higher n wanting to get off the phone as I dont like long tedious convos bout stuff that doesn't interest me... anyone who knows me now will know to only call me in emergencies, if its or anything else then they can text me

jajingna

jajingna

Wonder why it is we rarely see this sort of thing on TV shows or in movies. Might be weird to make it the focus of the story, but it could be part. Can't recall anything really that had social anxiety as a big part of the story, guess there are a few films/shows with it included a bit.

Well.. here's a list to prove me wrong:Movies (series) with characters suffering from social anxiety - IMDb

OCDguy

OCDguy

Yes teams is terrifying, I naively went into a meeting not really understanding what it was and when I realised everyone could see and hear me I panicked, exited everything and turned my laptop off and just sat for ages trying to calm down....video calling is a major source of anxiety for a lot of people at the moment I think
The topic of video conferencing has featured a few times recently :hug:

P

Pollypop

I’m stunned at so many of us being scared of phone calls.
I thought I was on my own.

Although I’m sad for everyone who suffers, it’s comforting
to know I’m not alone.