Scared of getting sick

S

SteveRogers

So a few months ago I had a really bad panic attack where I thought I was gonna puke and have a heart attack. I got better but recently I’ve been going crazy hearing people saying they’re going through a case of the flu and in some cases norovirus. This terrifies me to the point where I wash my hands to where my skin is so dry that I bleed. I ask my family members every day how they feel and I can tell they’re in the know that I have anxiety about them getting sick so they go out of their way to comfort me. I really need help because this fear is stopping me from going out in public and scared to go to work especially considering I’m a hospital employee. Does anyone have any advice?

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

This is a tough one because who likes to get the flu ?? Nobody. But washing your hands more than clinically needed isn't going to help. Do you have a therapist to help you with the OCD ??

S

SteveRogers

I went to a actual doctor because the stress and anxiety was causing my reflux to get worse. He didn’t listen and just told me to take Tums and gave me cream for my hands which is helpful. I guess I was expecting him to help with my mental health and not just my physical health.

I

Ian Haines

Steven. I am the Uber Worrier when it comes to all things SteveRogers' own style of worrying, here. I've been like it for decades and I know pretty much every trick in the book. Call it: "Health Anxiety"; "Hypochondria"; "Nosophobia" or "Misophobia"...I've lived it and, quite honestly, I could write a manual on disease and illness avoidance.

Back in the 1980s, I used to wear a dust mask to change a shirt, use sandwich bags to touch doorhandles through here at home, avoid own girlfriends for two weeks at a time if they had so little as a headcold. I'd use thick water/salt mixture to wipe the house phone if somebody living here had even last week had a cold.

You and I are so alike, believe me. All of my own fears/aversions/phobias/complexes, however, have carved me decades of an entirely odd life. The direction of my last 30-40 years, certainly, were sculpted out of what I simply had to resign myself to living like. Feel free to PM me, if you need to. If I ever write the handbook for people like us, you can have the first copy.

S

SteveRogers

How did you/do you deal with it? I don’t want to ruin relationships with the people in my life or ruin my employment opportunities. I actually went to the ER for what I convinced myself of was a heart attack. Turned out to be nothing serious, acid reflux. I’m just so glad I have great parents I can talk to. Other wood be screwed. I do feel like we have a lot In common. Thank you for responding. It means a lot to me. Any advice you can give would be appreciated. Also I really hope you do publish a book. I’m sure we’re not the only ones.

I

Ian Haines

There are millions of us. Facebook, for example, has a Health Anxiety page - maybe more than one, for all I know, by now. As far as I know, I'm not even a member, there, but it's there, somewhere. I've messaged you, by the way.

S

SteveRogers

Sorry I’ve been busy the past few weeks. I really need to find more time to vent cause it does help. I usually come here on my worst days. Today is one of those. To all my best efforts, I am currently sick. Nothing I could do. My dad was sick and I can’t exactly avoid him. It’s not as bad as I remember. Sore throat is the worst. Constantly sneezing and having anxiety that I’m spreading it. I did spread it to my mom and I feel horrible. She has it much worse than I do. I have a feeling it’s bronchitis or something because the symptoms I have are not even close to what she. I’m not scared of getting a cold. My anxiety is about more serious illnesses of course but I thought I’d rant a bit lol.

S

SteveRogers

My Dad just came home sick. Said he puked at work six times. It’s finally here. The thing I’ve been trying to avoid for months. I never expected my dad to come down with something. He jokes around all the time so maybe he’s joking but I doubt it. I don’t know how I’ll get through this. I’m scared. I know I won’t be the only one sick as I have a mom and sister of course so they’ll be in the same boat as me. I’m just was not expecting it to happen today.