• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Scared of falling into old ways, any help or tips to keep safe?

O

Owlface

I've been managing to keep quite balanced in myself over the past few months and I had been ignoring my compulsions but the end of this week has hit me hard. I don't know what's making me relapse into bad past behaviours but I just can't stop. I'm eating compulsively, started smoking again. I drove to my girlfriend's house last night because I felt awful and I was having hallucinations that there were people in the middle of the road that I had to watch out for, that people were just going to walk out in front of my car. I was driving on a dual carriage way, there were no pedestrians to be seen. I think maybe that's the worst thing about my BPD, when I can feel the stress rising and the impulsive behaviour creeping back in, the paranoia that there are people there, I get so scared. I'm starting MBT (Metalisation Based Therapy) in 2 weeks, I'd never heard of it before and don't even know if it's good. Has anyone been to MBT before? I've been waiting 6 months for a place in the group for MBT so it had better help me. I started a new job 3 weeks ago and I love it so i really don't want my BPD to be back full force.
I need some help or tips for stopping a relapse, thing i could do to help.
As I said, I really struggle to even know what's triggering me.

Thanks.

StillFighting

StillFighting

Hi, I'm sorry that you're having a hard time right now. I can imagine how scary this must be. Do you think that keeping something like a "thought journal" would help? Perhaps you could write every time you are in distress, write down e.g. how you are feeling, and the events/thoughts that cause this. I don't know if this can help you feel less distressed, but in the long run it may give you a better overview of the emotions/thoughts you are struggling with.

Congrats on the new job, and good luck with MBT. I've never heard of it, but I hope it's something that can help you. Do you have someone to talk to when you're not feeling well? That's another suggestion/tip, be it someone in real life, here in the forum, a helpline maybe, talking can make a big difference. Sending my thoughts.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Also want to congratulate you on your new job and say that I hope the MBT is helpful.
To be honest, I don't know much about it at all. But i'm sure i've seen some members here talk about it before, so hopefully someone who has experienced MBT will be able to give you a summary of what it's like.

I think that it's really actually quite a positive thing that you can see you may be slipping back a bit before ending up in a crisis.
Hopefully this can buy you some time to work through things.
Are you seeing any professionals at all? If you are, i'd talk to them and share your concerns that you might be heading for a bad episode.

I think that self-care is really important when things aren't as positive as you'd hope.
Basic stuff like getting enough sleep, eating well, trying to take walks, keeping in touch with friends/family can all help.
Don't know if you've ever kept a journal, but expressing what's troubling you can help too.
I'd also say be careful of what you're exposing yourself to in terms of media etc.

I don't know if you find anything in particular sets you off in a bad mood, but I know that it's best for me to avoid reading the news (just as an example) when i'm feeling sensitive because it just upsets me too much.

O

Owlface

These are both great pieces of advice and I'm touched that you took the time to reply. I felt like I was being silly and it wasn't worth responding to.