• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Scared i can't cope

S

Skylark86

So I had childhood emotional trauma which led to ptsd and on and off severe depression. I have sought help and after many years of therapy and hard work, the flashbacks stopped pretty much, the nightmares faded except when stressed or triggered. It has however had lasting impact on relationships and my utter lack of self worth. I had been coping and recognising triggers and slowly getting better at preventing a full spiral into deep depression.
Recently however I have experienced a massive shock and trauma and as it's raw still my logical brain is telling me the nightmares, the images, smells etc are normal as it's raw and it will get better. Except I'm struggling to believe this and terrified this new trauma will overwhelm me completely. I cannot shake the feeling of here I go again. Plus I'm petrified the historical stuff may rear it's head too. I'm on a waiting list for counselling, but as that's months away, I wondered if anyone else can relate and give tips to keep me grounded.

lyesander

lyesander

ACCOUNT CLOSED
You've already taken a big step just by reaching out. I think vocalising the problem always brings it down to earth for me. When I say it or write it, I can break it down and work from there. It doesn't feel as overwhelming when it's not floating around in my head. I'm generally not a fan of journaling, but arranging my fears on paper as something I can pragmatically and methodically address has been incredibly helpful.

Otherwise, I would honestly just say... get out. Put on some music and go for a walk or bike ride. I find my negative thoughts always increase when I'm at home and understimulated. Memories rush back, my symptoms begin to act up, etc.

S

Skylark86

Thanks for your support. I am trying to not allow myself to withdraw and hide. I've temporarily moved back to my parents for a bit to have support around me while I deal with this new issue. That was a massive thing for me to do as typically I would not let anyone in and would withdraw from everyone pretending I'm fine. I'm making myself get out walking as i know it helps. I just wish I could get the bad images out of my head and have better sleep.

Zero One

Zero One

Can you see a doctor or professional in the interim?

Zero One

Zero One

I try to keep doing things like cleaning (doing laundry, washing dishes), cooking, shopping. Listening to music helped me with flashbacks accompanied by psychosis this morning. Talking to others, writing on the forum also helps. Hope things get better soon
Try not to worry. It will be ok.

W

Wanttofeelpeace5

We all deserve to live a happy life . Our PTSD will not Devine us but make us unique in the strength that we show others . Humans as a species evolve because of those that have faced trauma and triumphed because of trauma not in spite of it . You will come through this because you are strong and because you deserve to . Keep loving yourself no matter hard that may seem . The world needs you !!