• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Scared About Holiday Food

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
In the last 6 weeks or so I haven't over-eaten or binged as much, and I've actually managed to take off a few pounds of excess weight. But now the holidays are here, with Christmas dinner on the 25th, and a second Christmas dinner on the 28th when our whole family is able to be together. Also, on the 27th we will be opening gifts and having high fat foods like chicken wings and cheese ball with crackers. I am terrified of having to face all that food. And then my mom wants to take me and my sisters out for lunch one day. I really wish Christmas wasn't so much about feasting and over-indulgence.

R

Rose19602

Me too PC!
I lost 3 stone this year and I've already eaten 3 boxes of chocolates in the run up to Christmas, and have a cupboard bursting with food and plans to make high calorie puddings and cakes!
I have to restrain myself from over eating, weigh myself regularly, exercise portion control and try to burn off the calories!
For me it's about not allowing it to get out of control and stopping before too much goes back on and I feel defeated by it!

Would monitoring help you too?
x

M

Mastiff mom

I think everything in moderation. I try to put half of what I think I want on my plate and then wait awhile-the stomach takes 20 minutes to register fullness.then I usually feel full. Can be hard to have discpline!

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

im scared too

sending hugs :hug5:

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Wow! 3 stone! I haven't even lost 1 stone and I still have a long way to go.I keep thinking of excuses I could make for not eating everything that everyone else is eating. So far my strategy is no stuffing or mashed potatoes, and heap my plate full of salad. Unfortunately on Christmas Day my aunt is already bringing salad, and my mom has me doing oven roasted yams, so I don't think there will even be very much salad to help myself to.
Me too PC!
I lost 3 stone this year and I've already eaten 3 boxes of chocolates in the run up to Christmas, and have a cupboard bursting with food and plans to make high calorie puddings and cakes!
I have to restrain myself from over eating, weigh myself regularly, exercise portion control and try to burn off the calories!
For me it's about not allowing it to get out of control and stopping before too much goes back on and I feel defeated by it!

Would monitoring help you too?
x

R

Rose19602

PC....I lost it when I dieted after coming off ALL psych drugs.

Don't compare your own results to mine if you're taking psych drugs. They change things...you know that!
Losing a stone on psych drugs is far more than I ever achieved in similar circumstances, so well done!

As for Christmas....maybe keeping the carbs down is worth trying? That's how I lost 3 stone.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thanks Miss Kitty. That is true about psych drugs. I am going to try to eat healthy things, like my green smoothie, before I go, so that I don't over eat because I'm starving. And the day that we spend all day at my parents house I may even bring a green smoothie with me. Also, for the evening that we are opening presents I am bringing a fruit platter, so there will be something I can nibble on, and I think my sister is making a Greek salad for that evening.

R

Rose19602

That all sounds very healthy and sensible.

I've made a healthy sweet potato and red pepper soup for Christmas Day evening to stop me breaking out the cheese, biscuits, cake and chocolate when I will probably not be hungry, but will probably feel greedy!

It's not easy to resist with all these treats around. I wish I hadn't bought them!
x

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
ARRRRRRRRRGH! Tomorrow is Christmas Day. Thankfully I'm not doing anything for Christmas Eve, so I don't have to face food tonight, but tomorrow I am having Christmas dinner with my parents and my aunt. Then on the 27th we will be doing "Christmas Eve" with my whole family--opening presents, food (cheese ball with crackers, chicken wings and crap like that). I am bringing a fruit platter, so at least I've got some safe food, but I've got all kinds of bad calorie-restricting and purging ideas going through my mind. Then on the 28th it's Christmas dinner all over again, with my whole family, and a whole day of facing Christmas cookies, chocolates, and pies throughout the day. I am really scared I might totally binge out and undo the few pounds of weight I've lost, and I still have a long way to go to get to a healthy weight.

R

Rose19602

Hey PC,
You mention purging and restricting....is there an ED in the picture here?

Sorry to ask, but I feel bad now that I've talked about diets etc if that is the case. I generally avoid trying to help people with EDs because I usually say the wrong thing!

I hope I haven't said anything that worries you if that's the case.

I always try to read your posts and have followed your journey quite a bit...but truly cannot remember an ED ????

Hope I haven't put my foot in it, and I wish you a healthy, happy Christmas.
x

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
In the past I have struggled with bulimia, and still struggle with bingeing, although it's been awhile since I purged. I think the last time I purged was about 9 months ago. You haven't said anything to upset me or encourage me to do something unhealthy. It's my own issues with food and body image that are coming into play.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
hope it goes okay for you. :hug:

H

hamlet_cat

Some overeating is normal at holiday time. It is pretty hard to actually gain a lot of weight from holiday eating. 1 lb of fat is about 3500 cal, which would mean a lot of overeating to achieve that. The reason people with eating disorders overeat is because we use food as a substitute for love. Often our core families make us feel unloved or worthless, this makes us overeat when we are with them. If this is the case, you can do one of two things, spend as little time with them as possible, or make sure you are spending time with other people that make you feel loved at holiday time. I don't know if any of this helps. I personally only plan on spending a little time with my core family, that way I don't risk being exposed to them too much.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Restricting today. Just feel like it's the only way I can cope at the moment.

Gajolene

Gajolene

There's only this 1 week to get through, you have 51 other weeks to worry about your ED and weight loss goals. I think it's probably safe you give yourself a break and let yourself enjoy christmas free from worry and anxiety. And not punishing yourself for enjoying food you would normally never get to eat Prairie.