• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Saying no to clozapine

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
My psychiatrist has told me that he wants me to start taking clozapine this Summer.I'm back on the olanzapine right now.I tried Seroquel but it didn't work for me.
I'm really concerned about clozapine.I'm not sure if I'd be able to cope with being hospitalised again.I have read horror stories about this drug being linked with many deaths.I'm scared and want to tell him no but dont really know what to say.There must be a safer medication that can help with my schizophrenia.

A

Apotheosis

Sorry to hear this. Is there the possibility of trying a med free recovery?

Or a lower dose? What about one of the others? Maybe Abilify, Amisulpride or Sulpride? (as examples).

On paper - although results seem mixed; (& I'm generally anti these drugs) - Abilify appears to have fewer side effects - & amisulpride & sulpride (which are closely similar); would appear to have a different & possibly slightly relatively safer chemical action.

Last edited:
M

maudikie

maudikie.

talk about your fears to your psychiatrist. Why are you changing medication?
You say the Quietaine doesn't suit you. There are several to use, and your psy chiatrist mst know what side effects they may have.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thanks for the responses.
I think if I went med free I'd end up in the hospital.3 years ago I came off olanzapine and went crazy.I begged them for olanzapine as I was really suffering.I told my brother that the meds make you dependant on them so you cant just come off them.I'm well knowm for having paranoid delusional thoughts and beliefs.The problem is sometimes I'm right.
They tried to wean me off the olanzapine and onto seroquel.I slowly detereorated so they stopped seroquel and put me on olanzapine 20mg.
My symptoms are controlled to a degree.Enough to keep me out of hospital.But I have bad days where I cant concentrate on anything.I suffer from 'delusions'.I have psychic premonitions which mostly disturb me and make me feel abnormal.I wont leave the house on my own.I feel paranoid most of the time.I was burgled recently which has made things worse.
I think my psychiatrist is trying to help me.He seems to think that clozapine will change my life totally for the better.The thing is he seems to expect me to be compliant because he knows best.If I tell him about my own internet research he has to hold back to keep his temper or so it seems.
I'm also worried that DLA will not pay me if I redfuse clozapine.
My understanding is that they only use clozapine as a last resort.I suppose I'm afraid that it wont work either or that it will kill me or leave me with TD.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Amisulperide has also been suggested as the next course of action as it is supposed to help with depression aswell as schizophrenia.

A

Apotheosis

I completely understand you fears around all this olanza.

I really don't know what to suggest.

I suppose that the angle does also need to be taken into account; that maybe you do respond well to this drug? There is always that possibility.

Apart from that - I suppose that it is a case of doing everything that we can to be good to ourselves & to deal with & ease how we feel. I know how hard that can be some days.

I stopped the med that I'm on 3 times; & became incredibly unwell each time. Aside from hating being on this med for the past 12 years; I have to accept that given my current circumstances; & all things considered - it appears to 'work' to take the edge of things; gives me a certain quality of life, & stops me slipping completely into psychosis.

I'd love to try comprehensive alternatives - sadly that isn't the society or psychiatric system that we live under. The cold reality is that it's usually a choice of (coerced) meds & nothing, or nothing; which isn't really a choice at all.

What real options in relationship to 'treatment' are there?

Last edited:
A

Apotheosis

Amisulperide has also been suggested as the next course of action as it is supposed to help with depression aswell as schizophrenia.
For what it's worth - if it's a choice of Amisulpride or clozapine; I'd take the Amisulpride.

I take 200mg of Amisulpride. It was 1200mg that they had me on originally; I'm very glad that I got off that dose.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thanks for the kind words.I'll update this thread after my next appointment.

A

Affective

My psychiatrist has told me that he wants me to start taking clozapine this Summer.I'm back on the olanzapine right now.I tried Seroquel but it didn't work for me.
I'm really concerned about clozapine.I'm not sure if I'd be able to cope with being hospitalised again.I have read horror stories about this drug being linked with many deaths.I'm scared and want to tell him no but dont really know what to say.There must be a safer medication that can help with my schizophrenia.
Hi Olanza. I have tried Seroquel and Olanzapine but found I tolerated Abilify a lot better. It helped with my paranoia and hallucinations.

Star-28

Star-28

Abilify has worked wonders for many people that I know of, and is supposed to have the least amount of side effects. Clozaril was one of the first Atypical antipsychotics. The fatal side effects you are talking about are only if you are not tested properly.

For instance. Clozaril can lower your white blood cell count making you susceptible to illnesses. That is why your doctor should have routine lab tests to check your cell count, liver enzymes, etc.. Also if you have a history of seizuers, you should not take Clozaril, and if you have Dementia. Which goes for all anti psychotic meds..

I would just ask about some of the newer meds. I have many of the same symptoms as you and Risperdal works fine for me. It never hurts to ask. This is your body, your mind. Not the doctor's.

I

IntrospectionFtw!

I'm in the same situation myself looking for safer alternatives to neuroleptics. they offered me clozapine aswell but i said no. they usually prescribe it for treatment refractory psychosis or when you've gone through all the other medications and still complain that your mad and your life sucks. if i was going to choose my poison id take aripipazole, or amisulpride. have you tryed coming off of them?.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm not really worried abouit the condition associated with decreasing white blood cell count as I would be monitored for this.2 weeks in hospital followed by weekly then monthly checks.
I'm more worried about other side effects,such as heart disease,strokes and cancer.
Therwe is also a lot of conflicting information out there on tardive dyskenisia which would be devastating.
Even the drooling would be enough to put me off clozapine.My wife already doesn't sleep with me very often as it is.I think drooling all over the pillows would make things worse than they already are.
I think clozapine would improve my schizophrenia.There's plenty of patients whos lives have been transformed by this drug.But I dont want to die in 10 years.Im only 34.

M

maudikie

maudikie.

Why did you come off the olanzapine? If it was keeping your thought processes in order I should have thought that it was the medication that suited you. the only side effect you must watch carefuly is weight gain, and you should have a yearly full check up with your G.P.
If you do put on weight ask to see a dietician.:)

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I gained 5 stone on olanzapine even though I restricted my calories.