• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Saying Goodbye to the Forum!

C

cookiegirl

It's a good thing, which is why I placed it in the Getting your life back section.

I've not been logging on lately, and I realized I'm happier when I don't. This past week, I've done some cooking, straightened up the house, put on music, and been in a positive mood. Being chained to the desk and reading about so many issues on the site, and trying to help others, hasn't helped me in any substantial way. So, I'm going to move on.

I also feel that creating change in my life and taking ownership and responsibility for it, is important, as it is for all of us. While the forum is a nice idea,..for me it's been more of a way to avoid focusing on my own issues, which is not what I want.

So, it hasn't work out,..but on a positive note, some of you are really sweet on here, and some of you are funny, and thoughtful. Thanks Brat Tomato for responding to my last started thread, it meant a lot. I want to thank the handful of folks who were nice to me. I will miss all the smart, sensitive, creative posters. It's unfortunate Noetic had to leave, but I'm glad he will be coming back.

If I have anything constructive to say going out...I would say that it probably wouldn't hurt for everyone to be a little more tolerant of other opinions. Too often, someone will present a problem or complaint and ask for feedback, then turn around and get irritated at the response. That generates unnecessary negativity and tension. So I don't understand it. As long as it's meant to be constructive and provide insight, and support, then it's all good. There shouldn't be a right or wrong answer.

And let's face it, you're inevitably going to hear an answer you don't want to hear. That's the beauty of forums...if you have enough participation, you're going to get different perspectives. Isn't the point of being here, to get better? Or is the goal to rack up a lot of friends, and have them all rubber-stamp what you're doing and saying 100 percent?

No matter what our situation, we can benefit from facing ourselves, being honest, not constantly blaming others, and taking steps every day to improve our lives.

It doesn't matter where the starting point is. The goal is growth. If we look at ourselves and we're not growing, we need to ask why and then try something new. It doesn't hurt to try. Saying something won't work in advance or finding reasons to hate it, is our way of self sabotage.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

How beautifully put. It is sad that you are leaving the forum but your reasons for going are totally understandable and commendable. Different things work for different people.

I wish you well and hope that, if you ever need to, you will come back sometime. :hug1:

BillFish

BillFish

It's a good thing, which is why I placed it in the Getting your life back section.

I've not been logging on lately, and I realized I'm happier when I don't. This past week, I've done some cooking, straightened up the house, put on music, and been in a positive mood. Being chained to the desk and reading about so many issues on the site, and trying to help others, hasn't helped me in any substantial way. So, I'm going to move on.

I also feel that creating change in my life and taking ownership and responsibility for it, is important, as it is for all of us. While the forum is a nice idea,..for me it's been more of a way to avoid focusing on my own issues, which is not what I want.

So, it hasn't work out,..but on a positive note, some of you are really sweet on here, and some of you are funny, and thoughtful. Thanks Brat Tomato for responding to my last started thread, it meant a lot. I want to thank the handful of folks who were nice to me. I will miss all the smart, sensitive, creative posters. It's unfortunate Noetic had to leave, but I'm glad he will be coming back.

If I have anything constructive to say going out...I would say that it probably wouldn't hurt for everyone to be a little more tolerant of other opinions. Too often, someone will present a problem or complaint and ask for feedback, then turn around and get irritated at the response. That generates unnecessary negativity and tension. So I don't understand it. As long as it's meant to be constructive and provide insight, and support, then it's all good. There shouldn't be a right or wrong answer.

And let's face it, you're inevitably going to hear an answer you don't want to hear. That's the beauty of forums...if you have enough participation, you're going to get different perspectives. Isn't the point of being here, to get better? Or is the goal to rack up a lot of friends, and have them all rubber-stamp what you're doing and saying 100 percent?

No matter what our situation, we can benefit from facing ourselves, being honest, not constantly blaming others, and taking steps every day to improve our lives.

It doesn't matter where the starting point is. The goal is growth. If we look at ourselves and we're not growing, we need to ask why and then try something new. It doesn't hurt to try. Saying something won't work in advance or finding reasons to hate it, is our way of self sabotage.
I don't know why I log on either, just seems to be a glass box full of people in despair, don't really see how joining into that can be a positive aspect of anyone's life. :shrug:

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I think it's great to have that awareness that perhaps time you've previously spent on this forum can be filled with things that make you feel more positive.
Whilst it's sad to see you go, i'm glad that you're not leaving under any dark cloud.
I wish you all the best too. Hope things keep getting more positive for you. :hug:

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I don't know why I log on either, just seems to be a glass box full of people in despair, don't really see how joining into that can be a positive aspect of anyone's life. :shrug:
Some of us do leave helpful, supportive comments on the forum.
There are plenty of staff and members who selflessly take their time to try and help others in despair.

D

Deliah

I wish you every success. You sound like you are in a very good place and have found your power to survive and flourish in life. Wonderful news and I agree that it is a celebration for you that you have decided you can now let go of the forum. I believe that if something is no longer feeling beneficial then that is a gift in itself and we can see it as a opportunity to turn in a new direction. Fly cookiegirl. love D xxx

Mayfair

Mayfair

<snip>

Bold was an 'either/ or/ or' - but none for me. I never thought joining here would help me get better, help me maybe, but not get better - I looked for somewhere like here online [and ended up here], and I came here to get away from the outside world, and chat to like-minded people who at least have some understanding of things.

I think the place has to have lots of different areas for this reason - like this one that you've posted in :)

If every section was all doom and gloom, then I think that NONE of us would be here. I hope you don't leave forever because of that reason cg. There's nothing wrong with being well and happy :) We can choose what we read, and often I can't read some sections, other times I can. I use my age now for this, I've learned that when I'm very down, I don't read such threads that I think would be triggery (no more than I would deliberately engage myself in stressful situations in real life, if I didn't want to)

I do hope you don't leave entirely, and keep posting positive posts and threads when you feel like it.

I don't think these types of threads mean 'everlasting wellness for me', but I like reading them :) I reckon others do too :)

If you're straightening up houses, cooking and playing music then you're welcome to come round here :D (as long as it's not 80s music), I'm sick of ready meals.

Stay well cg, and you're always welcome here :)

:(

I'm currently frantically trying everything to get out of current state Bill. Routine brings me here, but luckily and perhaps why I'm usually regular staff is because I like routines :)

Wha I would say though Bill, is if you feel it's not helping at all, and making you feel worse then you should take a break because it's not the best place to be. At different times, we all know where we would like to be, and if it isn't here then don't log in. Try something else, and if that doesn't work, then if you want come back and post those thoughts. I think we all recognise them, and that's one thing that we all share.

There are arguments of course in some sections, but so what? We're all human :) I don't think I'd come here if everything was utopian, because I know it wouldn't be real.

Last edited:
Mayfair

Mayfair

sorry, that started as a quick well wishing, but I thought a lot, and summarised it. :LOL:

All the best cg, but hope you pop in from time to time, and don't forget us :)

C

cookiegirl

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Mayfair. Hope you have a great day.