• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Saw my counsellor for the first time.

J

Jisatsu

I don't think it went that well.

I was so nervous, playing with my hands and clothes and not looking in her eyes much.
I said a few things but every now and then I'd just well up and I'd try my hardest not to cry.. there'd was loads of silences and I just found it so hard to talk because I didn't want to cry but as soon as I left I burst into tears.

Maybe next week will go better..

M

mad as a hatter

i,m exactly the same when i go 2 c my counseller i try hard not 2 cry 2 it,s hard tho but i will get a bit better just give ur self a wee chance good luck with it

S

Soren

don't be bothered about crying, its to be expected and absolutely fine. just make sure it doesn't all start coming out of your nose - they hate that.;)

good look for the next appointment:)

D

DELATEXT

cry

do not be ashamed or afraid to cry, you've every right to !!
getting out pain and distress is never easy and talking does not always do it.
hope it goes well for you next time.

:):grouphug:

J

Jisatsu

I barely looked at her and I just feel so embarrassed when I look at her and tell her something..
I just felt put on the spot because the seats are arranged so she is directly facing me and idk it just makes me feel a bit uneasy like she is constantly looking at me. She kept looking at my hands when I was twiddling my thumbs and stuff too and it made me feel even more nervous :(

lal10

lal10

I agree with everyone, don't stress it, it's completely normal to be a wreck on the first visit and as an experienced counsellor they will not have been surprised by your state. I find the constant observation hard too but they need to analyse what's going on with you verbally and physically to see any improvement over time. Counsellors are professionals and just like doctors will not judge you for your behaviour as if you walked in and acted like you were chatting to someone at the bus stop you wouldn't need to be there! Counselling isn't a quick fix, it's like chipping away at a boulder that's blocking your path, sometimes you only make small progressions and little pieces come away but sometimes, and in my experience after a good few sessions, suddenly a whole chunk of that boulder breaks away and wow it's a great feeling! My personal advice, what worked for me, is to keep at it and go in with no expectations or no specific ideas like 'today this will happen', go with an open mind and try, and I know it's hard, to see it as your place to be yourself (whatever state you're in) and let go fully. If it helps don't look at them, pretend they are a disembodied voice if it's more comfortable, but you will feel different over time. I thought counselling was a load of rubbish until I tried it and now I look forward to going, although it can take it out of me, and I also study it at uni so I have seen both sides. When all is said and done if you still don't like it after a while then no harm done, everyone is different, try something else.

Best of luck!!
Lal
xx

M

maudikie

maaudikie.

If you find sitting oopposite her ask her if she would mid if yo turned your chair. She will uderstand that eye to eye contact is difficult for you, it is part of your condition. Andhave a jolly good cry. It helps so mush to relieve the tension, and she should understand,and may give you a hugI'll give you one to start with:hug::hug::hug::hug: