• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Saw a psychiatrist today

B

Bigmouth_Strikes_Again

For a start i really didn't like the way he spoke to me, he spoke to me as if i was guilty of something :confused: I have terrible social anxiety so i was hoping the psychiartrist would be a welcoming friendly person.

He started off asking me what i thought was "wrong" with me, i said i didn't know. So he asked me to explain my moods to him.. I said that i get depressed, over eat, over sleep, get tearful and feel unable to do anything.. then i get ups where i dont sleep, dont eat, feel really positive and full of energy. He asked about family history, i said i didnt know much. Then asked me if i've heard of bipolar and if i thought i had it, i said i didn't know. Then he asked if he could speak to my mum, i hesitated then he said go get your mum! So i did.

He asked her about my moods (Ive never spoken about anything with my mum) and spoke about my depression.. She told him that i've said i'd be better off dead and he asked her if she felt i meant it and she said yeah, she never knows what i'm going to do, and fears i could end up doing it eventually. I could hear the sadness in her voice and i was nearly crying. She told him that sometimes i just snap for no reason and she never knows which one of me shes going to get. Then they spoke about my 'ups'. And he asked her had she heard of bipolar? And she said yes and he asked does she believe i have it? and she said yes :(

He said he doesn't know whats wrong with me, hes skeptical about it being bipolar because i'm only young, so me and my mum have to write a mood diary for me over the next 6 weeks, then he'll see me again for a further discussion.

I wont lie i've thought i might have bipolar but hearing what my mum said, it broke my heart. I love her dearly and i can see how much i'm hurting her. I am praying they can give me a diagnosis soon, so i can get treatment and try to rebuild my life.

Anyway i just wanted to say all this as it was building up and bringing me down :(

shaun3210

shaun3210

Sounds like it was a very tough appointment :( but at least it’s done and out the way now and hopefully it will be a little easier next time you see him :)

It must have been heart breaking hearing your Mum speak like that about you :cry: I bet seeing you haven’t ever talked to your mum like that, she feels a little relived from being able to get it off her chest and tell the Doctor exactly how she feels about what is currently going on with you.

Hope it goes well on your next appointment. :)

Q

QUEENYBOO

Hi

Im new just wondered how old are u? I was diagnosed bipolar today and am at a loose end Im like what the f**k?? lol

B

Bigmouth_Strikes_Again

Im new just wondered how old are u? I was diagnosed bipolar today and am at a loose end Im like what the f**k?? lol
Hello, I'm 19. How old are you? Did your diagnosis come as shock or were you expecting it? Hope you are ok.

I guess i'm glad that my mum has noticed and is able to help out. I've had a terrible day today, really depressed but for once my mum didn't have a go at me she just left me to mope in bed. So I'm hoping now she understands she'll be able to treat me better.

dib4uk

dib4uk

Yeah your pretty young, but I know two people who have bi-ploar and their in their early twenties.

Dont worry hon, they have to ask questions like that to see how you reply.

They need to see how you react to questions etc- but its a good thing that your mum went along with you. Did he/she give you a mood diary?

Bigmouth_Strikes_Again- :redface::grouphug:

Its ok to feel that way, and welcome to the forum.

BTW- my mum said the next time she's going to come with me and I'm 34 years old, for mothers regardless of the age of their offspring seeing changes in them is hard to take. Be strong and hung in there.

:)

S

suki1066

hello there

i just wanted to reply to from a mums point of view, my dd has been diagnosed 4 weeks ago. i told the crisis team and the doc many things that dd has done and hows she behaved, from an outside viewing in point of view. i was able to give them a rouder view as dd carnt remember things, and didnt at times think she was behaving oddly, i dont want to tell you what to do but i would recomend you try as best you can to xplain how you feel and what you experience, she will help you and do her best for you i am sure. i cannot decribe what it has been like whatching my child grow up she is 21 soon and she at times has behaved apporlingly, iv hated her i shouted , ive checked her house to see if she is still alive. but man do i love that child. i will be her voice when she carnt talk , i can giver her strenth when she is weak and will never give up on her. we mums feel helpless and at a loss as what to but we will listen and help, let her inside your head, it was the saddest and happiest day when the doc said bi polar, it gave us both an explanation as to why she is the way she is. i know its hard to talk, but with a good mummy by your side you will be in the best hands. i wish you all the very best, it isnt going to be easy, but a journy worth taking
jane xxxxx :)

B

Bigmouth_Strikes_Again

Me and my mum have to write a mood diary for me. I'm don't really know what to write, i'm terrible with words plus my mood can change from depressed to happy or angry etc quickly several times a day, so how do i score that? :unsure: I'm too scared to ask my mum at the moment.

suki1066 You sound like a great mum! It must be so hard for you, i can't imagine what i've put my mum through :( I'm scared, and am trying so hard to act 'normal' because i know my mum is monitoring me - even though i know for a diagnosis i should be honest and be me. My mum has stuck by me through so much over the years, i hope this is going to bring us closer eventually.

S

suki1066

aww sweetheart dont be scared, non of this is your fault, in your mood diary write down all your moods per day in order ans what else you have been doing, such as what time you got up, how you felt then what you did etc it may seem long winded but it is all information.
tell you mum anything and everthing, she will be as scared as you, but in a diffrent way, and we are older we can take it, we arnt the ones who are ill, you guys are and need looking after, so let her xxxxxx

G

grahamm

I think you should look for a new doctor. 19 is not to young for bipolar. Try and get a psychiatrist who specilises in mood disorders. Bp is very genetic so find out if you have relatives with this disorder.