SANE line

bert tomato

bert tomato

I just called up SANE line and talked for about 40 minutes. I was completely honest and told the volunteer about my history. I told her about what happened to me when I was first admitted into hospital.

It took me a lot of courage to say...however I was bit upset when she cut off the conversation at 40 minutes? It has left me feeling a bit cold, and cheated. I don't think I will call them again.

What the hell is it with it - that people that are so cold at giving us support?

:cry::hug:

A.m.b.e.r

A.m.b.e.r

Do you think it was a technical fault ?

If it wasn't then my goodness that was rude. I am training to be a Samaritan at the moment and wouldn't dream of doing anything like that. Whats the point in offering someone support to go and ruin it like that.

M

ms bojangles

I've had the same experiences with saneline years ago - I just won't use them now.

Burntfruit, I see you're in yorks - I can recommend guideline 01274 594594 midday-9pm 24/7

bert tomato

bert tomato

I never used them again. I will try guidline.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Saneline only give me 20mins the first ten are spent putting out my stall as a deserving case, i might try them today but feel they're a waste of time, pity it's people like me living alone with schitzoprenia margery wallace weas supposed to be concerned about

lycan

lycan

Cut you off , as in put down the phone? If that was intentional then thats awful. If it wasnt then they should call back to apologise.

Any mental health charity who calls themselves "sane" (the opposite of insane) arouses suspicion in me anyway.

M

ms bojangles

My experiences of them have been that they let you talk, and then tell you that it's time to finish the call. Just like that. Doesn't matter what you're talking about or what state you're in.

I protested to one person and was told that it was policy to allow only so much time per call, so I said, well, you could have warned me. I once argued and got told by a member of staff that her supervisor had told her to finish the call NOW. Bang. I tried to respect this time limit but still ended up feeling resentful and anxious and despised.

Plus (and this may just be my own personal feelings) I often felt that I wasn't saying the 'right' things to capture their attention.

I had one ludicrous experience when the woman I was talking to asked me if I'd fill in their questionnaire. I can never answer quickly, and besides I had filled one in already. I was going, umm, errm.. and trying to get the words out, but she snapped,'oh no, of course you won't, will you!' And then went on into some diatribe about how she didn't have to do this, she volunteered her precious time on Saneline etc etc. It was all a bit Monty Python. LOL. Not.

I don't think Saneline are at all sensitive to callers or their needs.

B

bebe

Ring them again and make a complaint if you dont the person who you was talking to would probably do it again to some other poor person either that or it could have been a phone fault but i doubt it as you carried on chatting for 40 mins

S

susan

Thank you for sharing your experiences here. I was checking out saneline as a phone no to offer a client. I will not do that now. It should be a privilage to be let into someone elses world and experiences. The lady who was self rightous about volunteering her time sounds very empty inside. To me, she sound resentful; issues of resentment would be her stuff, not the phoners business or concern. When people are sharing fears, perceptions and feelings the world of those who listen can be deeply enriched from sharing a deeper understanding of what it is for us all to be human.
It is obviously their policy to offer limited time slots and I guess there are reasons for this. To me, these should then be managed with trying to close down toward the end and helping the service user be aware of time and where they are within that particular session, for want of a better word. This when someone is in crisis would be a difficult thing to do, perhaps meaning a need for clear contracting on time, before anyone opens up at the start. Did that not happen? I can imagine how hurtful it would be to open up and to then just be told that 'times up' for anyone. As someone else said, this could kick off old feelings of rejection or issues of self worth for many people, including me.
I would suggest to try not to take these experiences personally... though by the nature of being human that is sometimes easier said than done.

Last edited:
S

susan

As an added thought, perhaps complaints would be better written and sent to the main address - bound to be online. Any good agency 'should' welcome feedback.

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
last time i phoned saneline the women said she couldn't hear me them when i shouted accused me of shouting and ended the call i commented on their web site the thread was removed

pentagram

pentagram

I rang Saneline once when I was very low, I know that who-ever answers the call has probably talked to a few people and maybe tired or something but the woman who answered was so short with me, told me I had talked for 20 mins and she couldn't help me and rang off. she ended call not me. Will never use them again.

bert tomato

bert tomato

Thank you for sharing your experiences here. I was checking out saneline as a phone no to offer a client. I will not do that now. It should be a privilage to be let into someone elses world and experiences. The lady who was self rightous about volunteering her time sounds very empty inside. To me, she sound resentful; issues of resentment would be her stuff, not the phoners business or concern. When people are sharing fears, perceptions and feelings the world of those who listen can be deeply enriched from sharing a deeper understanding of what it is for us all to be human.
It is obviously their policy to offer limited time slots and I guess there are reasons for this. To me, these should then be managed with trying to close down toward the end and helping the service user be aware of time and where they are within that particular session, for want of a better word. This when someone is in crisis would be a difficult thing to do, perhaps meaning a need for clear contracting on time, before anyone opens up at the start. Did that not happen? I can imagine how hurtful it would be to open up and to then just be told that 'times up' for anyone. As someone else said, this could kick off old feelings of rejection or issues of self worth for many people, including me.
I would suggest to try not to take these experiences personally... though by the nature of being human that is sometimes easier said than done.
I agree with you 100%.

Z

zappymoon

I am sorry to hear you all have had such bad experiences with SANE Line, I know this is an old thread but have just done a Google search into SANE Line, as I would like to apply to become one of their Service Volunteers.

I currently volunteer with another charity a few hours a week on their helpline, and although not long been in this role, find the work I do to be very rewarding, staff & my fellow volunteers are warm & friendly. But now would like to do some additional volunteering by helping & supporting others like myself, suffering from a mental health condition/s.

We also have a policy to limit all calls to a maximum of 30 minutes, the callers hear a recorded message before calls come through to us, not many callers go over the time and usually end the call themselves when they are ready.

But hate having to remind them that their time will soon be up, and haven’t been able to do so, until recently, even though we do have the option of keeping the call going for a bit longer than the allocated time if we feel it is necessary.

I have found crisis line to be a great help and comfort, I don’t remember them saying to me that there was a time limit to our conversation, and told me to ring back if I need to.

Out of Hours Crisis Line 0800 028 8000 (June 2013)

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i'm wondering from recent trys at saneline whethrt they're using dwp slave labour, it'd explain the attitude

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

sane is a awful forum ,im sorry but its true. the members ,most members are lovely but the forum is hideously run ,when I posted there was more arguments than 'mutual support' if you value your 'sanity' don't use that forum x

Z

zappymoon

Really Lu, was thinking more about the helpline, something I am doing already somewhere else, the government are on my back and want me to do more to get back to work, now so do I, absolutely love my current role.