• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Saints Were Mentally Ill

v01ce5

v01ce5

News Report on US Talk Show handling of voices and spirituality issue:

Joy Behar Suggests Saints Were Mentally Ill

By Justin McCarthy, January 9, 2008

NewsBusters

According to "View" co-host Joy Behar, those sainted by the Catholic Church are no more than mentally ill individuals who heard voices. On the January 9 edition of "The View" Behar, who considers prayer a "distraction," suggested that there are no longer any saints due to modern medicine.

"I have a theory that you can’t find any saints any more because of psycho-tropic medication. I think that the old days the saints were hearing voices and they didn’t have any thorazine to calm them down. [laughter] Now that we have all of this medication available to us, you can’t find a saint any more."

Elisabeth Hasselbeck noted the late Mother Teresa, who does not yet been given sainthood, as a modern example. Behar responded by citing Mother Teresa’s doubts and that the Church’s standard has changed due to medical advances.

"That’s why Mother Teresa had issues. Let’s not forget, she didn’t really believe 100 percent like those saints who were hearing voices. She didn’t hear voices. So the Church said ‘okay, she does good deeds. Let’s make her a saint.’ In the old days it used to be you heard voices. You can’t do that anymore."

Hasselbeck disagreed responding that voices had nothing to do with it, but rather a very strong faith asserting "I don’t think they were hearing voices. I think they were committed to their faith and they’d go to death for it."

The transcript is below.

JOY BEHAR: I’m going to get in trouble for this, but you know what? I have a theory that you can’t find any saints any more because of psycho-tropic medication. I think that the old days the saints were hearing voices and they didn’t have any thorazine to calm them down. [laughter] Now that we have all of this medication available to us, you can’t find a saint any more.

ELISABETH HASSELBECK: I don’t think so, Mother Teresa.

BEHAR: That’s why Mother Teresa had issues. Let’s not forget, she didn’t really believe 100 percent like these saints who were hearing voices. She didn’t hear voices. So the Church said "okay, she does good deeds. Let’s make her a saint." In the old days it used to be you heard voices. They can’t do that anymore.

WHOOPI GOLDBERG: They’d cut your hair off. They’d set you on fire. Don’t forget what they did to Joan of Arc.

BEHAR: Because she was hearing voices.

GOLDBERG: They set her on fire. That’s why people stopped saying anything.

BEHAR: Well it was- no, no, no, in the last century before you had medication, they still were hearing voices. I’m telling you.

HASSELBECK: I don’t think they were hearing voices. I think they were committed to their faith and they’d go to death for it.

SHERRI SHEPHERD: Because I hear voices. I hear voices in my head.

BEHAR: Well, duh!

[laughter]

HASSELBECK: I hear voices too.

BEHAR: Medication is in order perhaps!

—Justin McCarthy is a news analyst at Media Research Center.

J

justlikeawoman

saints were mentally ill

ok i am not saying that the saints of the catholic church were mentally ill or not.
i was a catholic til about three years ago,
i am not fifty five.
so that is fifty two years of catholicism.to speak about.
no they were not made saints because they heard voices. usually it takes a very long time to a person to be canonised to saint hood. they have to first become "blessed". like for instance if mother theresa is canonised to sainthood she more than likely would be first called "blessed mother theresa". it is a very long process. i know there was talk that mother theresa was to canonised very quickly and that the blessedness part was going to overlooked.
i guess the catholic church is desperate to a new modern day saint that people can relate to.
usually those who become saints have to have the miraculous about them.
like take for instance if i die and i have been a pretty good catholic, doing good everywhere i go and being good at prayer devotion and all the other stuff that goes with being catholic then people may upon my demise start to pray for me. so say all you people on the forum start to pray to alice, catholic. say you start to pray that you will be healed of your mental illness and hey presto you all start to experience healing in mind wow, what will happen. you report your healings to the powers that be within the catholic church. people start to pray to me and (bear in mind i am now dead) all these healings will be recorded in a big book at the vatican. at some time i may become blessed alice. then other stuff might happen, like you may have a vision of me and i tell you that the sun wont rise tomorrow and it doesnt:Dthen the vatican may sit up and start to take real notice of ye deade olde me and they may decide "ah, deade olde alice is very miraculous let us consider sainthood." it may take a couple of centuries but who cares when you are dead:evil: i think you sort of have a bit of time to waste by this stage:LOL:
so thereby that is some of the way it goes.
incidentally if you just become a born again christian and believe in jesus christ then you become a saint before you are dead. it has nothing to do with hearing voice, or doing miraculous stuff although you may do both. and also you dont pray to dead people because the bible tells you not to do this. the one to pray to is jesus - he takes your prayer to the father in heaven. we can pray to jesus cos he aint dead:cool:
i hope you are not by all this - but really all you have to do is believe.
alice