• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

saftey behaviours

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
as a result of being unwell i have developeted safety behaviours these are things that i have sort of done to "protect myself" when i'm out and about
= dont look people in the eye
-wear a walkman
walk fast
wear sunglasses
be on hyper alert for any danger look down if i see people

i'm interested to know how others do this so feel free to respond

also i looked up on the interenet the other night and in america they have a scitzophrenics annonomus group like alcoholics annonymous but for scitzophrenics what a good idea id love to set up a group like that. anyone else started a group out there and how did you go about it thanks diddy:confused:

schiz01

schiz01

I concentrate very hard on the task at hand .For example if i have to go to the shops i will treat it like a military operation.I will work out what i have to get choose a good time to go so i don't have to wait in queues,then walk briskly into the shop get what i have to get then get out.I make out like i am busy and in a hurry and pretty much ignore everyone else.I especially hate women shoppers who stroll around and seem more interested in observing other people then shopping.Its like im not here for the social interaction im in a hurry and have a job to do.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I use a mp3 player it's easier to carry than a walkman, one friend goes once a month to the supermarket and gets a taxi back, i find the queue bad, i sometimes once every 2 months have a big internet shop and buy the bulky items, i go to the supermarket for fresh food

i told the tribunal i get picked on in the supermarket queue and need to shop in the more expensive indian shops, i don't mind if they call it paranoia

T

thefool

Nice to know its not only me that has to plan "Operation Leave the house" whenever i have to go out, i do all the same things.
Can't wear headphones , though .last time i wore them i thought everyone was ridiculing me because i couldn't hear what they were saying and offered someone a fight on the bus because of it!! I'm a full on coward who never fights so i havn't worn them since, or been on a bus.
I ride a motorcycle now, the helmet grants me enough anonymity to make it possible to go out, but getting from the house to the bike and bike to the shop still has to be planned in detail.