• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

SAD Lamps

bubbling under

bubbling under

In my mothers wisdom she's ordered one of these for me, and I'll get it tomorrow. All I know is they're supposed to 'fake' sunlight and make you feel a wee bit better. Tbh I have my sceptical head on, although it seems I am ticking a few boxes at the moment. Has anyone ever used one or know anyone who has. I'd really like to hear a bit more about them.

Thank you x

C

CrashtestMummy

I have had a SAD visor and natural wake up lamp and both really helped and going to a sunny place in the late winter definetly helped. Give it a go x:grouphug:

emski

emski

I would be delighted if my mother ordered one of these for me, in fact I may suggest it to her. I've heard about them, and a few of my friends have them and swear by them. Gotta be worth a try, right?

bubbling under

bubbling under

I think I am willing to give it a go. She's reserved one from argos, so I'll let you know what I think of it tomorrow night.

thank you x

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Hi bu, my husband has been using his 'sad lamp' since beg of November and is conviced it has really helped his 'winter blues' this winter :)

Do remember to use your lamp early part of the day, rather than at night - as I understand they can keep you awake!

All the best with it.

bubbling under

bubbling under

OOH am feeling quite excited about it now...thanks everyone :)

C

CrashtestMummy

I agree with libra1 ,

Use it in the morning and about the same time each day if you can as this will help regulate your circadian rythems and they control your sertoin / cortisol levels that are the problem for most of us good luck x:grouphug::grouphug:

bubbling under

bubbling under

Well I've got it here, and it was £10 off, so an added bonus. Annoyingly though, it says not to use it after 8pm, I am itching to get it out and switch it on! I'm thinking what I'll do is put it on when I'm doing my hair and make up in the morning. That normally takes me about 20 minutes. Do you think that'll be enough time??

Even if this has a temp effect It'll be worth it.

iffybob

iffybob

There "SHOULD" be a leaflet to say how to use it "safely", some have UV lamps and should only be used for a period of time ...

.... read the instructions ...

... turning it on for 10-15 seconds should be fine .. put on sunglasses first , and make sure it set down ... (dont hold it , when you switch on) .. some are realy bright

bubbling under

bubbling under

There is a leaflet but I can't take all the info onboard:unsure: its a little bamboozling.....I was planning on just jumping in at the deep end in the morning. Also....am I meant to have the lights on or use it in the dark, because it says nothing about that???

iffybob

iffybob

It should not realy matter if the lights are on or not ....

... have a look if it has any settings or not ... and you are looking for a time for how long you can safely use it for (this can be important as some have UV ouput)....

bubbling under

bubbling under

Well it's only got brightness and time settings <scratches head> I think this is going to take a bit of getting used to :unsure:

In the instructions it says you should only use for a maximum of an hr, which tbh I'm only going to be able to do at the weekends.

Thanks bob x

S

skyblue

My bf bought me one of these for £120 this Christmas. Unfortunately, I had to take it back because it said that to get the most out of light you needed to sit infront of it for 45min intervals, 3 times a day. There's just no way I had that time.
It would have been great for an office worker though.

bubbling under

bubbling under

Oh I'm sorry to hear that...I hope that doesn't turn out to be the case with this one or I am stuffed...with my line of work that would be impossible....:unsure: