Sad i may never work again

qwerty1234

qwerty1234

I get a lot of brain fog and physical symptoms and think I may never work again... I am quite upset..

Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit

:hug: I'm sorry to hear your upset, can I ask what type of work did you so in the past?

There maybe some type of work out there that would suit you, or volunteering to support others in some way.

X

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I’m sad to hear that you don’t think you’ll work again. What is your age. If you younger there a good chance you may be able to find something or maybe as Urban says do some voluntary work . You haven’t said what your diagnosis is and What meds your on. Some meds when you first start them do cause brain fog and lethargy but that should clear up . If it doesn’t, mention it to your p/doc and see if there are any other options available. I finally stopped work in my fifties but when I felt well enough I volunteered in a charity shop which was really beneficial in giving me confidence with my social anxiety. Now I’m helping at an elderly care drop in centre. Don’t give up on yourself . Hopefully we’ll your feeling a bit clearer you can decide what’s dest for you

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
have you worked enough to get a private work pension, that makes a difference, proving to the dwp your unfit for work is one constant hassle

it is hard accepting you'll never work again with society pushing the protestant work ethic so much nowadays and work is a source of income. other incomes are precarious

qwerty1234

qwerty1234

Thank you so much ramboghettouk. I did work so I have some social security saved with the government. I have disability funding for 3 years, and then my case will be reviewed again.

Right now I don't feel up to working, but my situation may improve. It was very hard when my Dad was so hopeful that I would return to work, and then I got rejected from a prestigious lab for work application. But it may work out ok, because I am trying to move somewhat from hardware to software or to both, and the job was in hardware.

The constant feedback and support in get from online and this site is very helpful. I need smcosntant encouragement to feel calm and steady and to think.

I hope you are doing well, you can message me any time, and thank you for listening.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
nice to know i was helpful, i don't know how realistic work is for me, i wonder if the dwp who've sent me the work capability questionairre are realistic, feel they're out to get people of benefits and the reality of work is a small thought with them

i sleep 13hrs a night as one guy put it that doesn't allow much time for overtime, then having broken down at 19 i don't have much to offer in the marketplace and unskilled manuel labour thers a lot of competition for every job and i'm now 60 with physical isssues starting

that 2nd degree i did used to be teacher training but whose going to trust a schitzo or even ex schitso with their kids and added to that i shook one of the kids harrassing me on a bad estate and now worry if i could pass a crb check for working with kids, thank you mr poiliceman bigot i told i was schitzoprenic

S

Skynet

I get a lot of brain fog and physical symptoms and think I may never work again... I am quite upset..
I'm in a similar situation except that I'm just 29 and have never held a job until now. I think it's important for us to have empathy for sick people like ourselves and not have unrealistic expectations. As for myself, I would consider being on disability and taking good care of one's health as a positive outcome.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
I don't think I'll work again, it is a constant worry. I just feel to unwell to work especially physically.
I'm in my forties, have my mum to support to.
I have brain fog and lethargy from my fibromyalgia and inflammatory arthritis and from meds.

T

Tabby 88

There is work i would like to do and think i could manage, but it would be very low pay, part-time and the commute may send me over the edge before i even get to work. These are the risks now and i don't know if i could keep going for my annual leave. I might need seasonal leave, 1 week off every 3 months, minimum. The workplace isn't fit for people with certain needs. Especially if the needs and abilities fluctuate.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
years ago tessa worked in a typing pool it been before the digital revolution,sometimes 1 day a week sometimes 2 or 3, the only reason she could was her mother would spend all week at the benefit office sorting out her benefits they told the mother it was taking a social worker 2 to 3 days a week sorting out her benefits

the complexity of the benefits system is one reason they claim to be introducing universal credit but maybe that complexity is neccessary to protect people whose face doesn't fit due to illlness

you'll still with universal credit have to provide weekly pay slips some clark will have to enter the details into some computer, and you'll still get rediculous amounts sometimes

qwerty1234

qwerty1234

Wowwowowowo, I feel so much better getting all this feedback. I do agree that taking care of my health is better, I just hope to be connected into society and getting feedback

It is hard on me as someone who used to be an overachiever and part of the 'in' crowd

T

Tabby 88

also if you are working, even 1 hour each week, you might lose your support group. I don't know if UC has a support group component but it is almost £40 per week on ESA extra so a significant amount of money each week. Any voluntary or paid work will lose me that extra money.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i've heard they've said crb checks for minor offences are a human rights violation, whether my offence is minor i don't know, i remember some employment org said it could come out on enhanced checks and so many are enhanced now

a year in prison for burglary didn't stop one support worker getting a job, he was pretty bitter and whether that made him good material for the job

my form went off today, now pointless worrying just a long wait, as my women said it'll be just left on a desk for a week, hope it's recorded on time, it is just on time recorded one day delivery, hope it's entered on the computer so the computer doesn't stop the benefits

and my mother in hospital is improving they've taken off the oxygen mask, are now giving oral antibiotics and her apppetites back, so don't need to go up on train, the state i've been in, i felt i'd be picked on on the train and i don't consider such things symptoms

T

Tabby 88

Good luck with the assessment? i am sure it will be fine. Phone them after a week to check they have it and get the persons name. I would keep calling weekly to see an update.

T

Tabby 88

Enhanced DBS, i have been what i thought was arrested, when unwell, and that did not come up on the enhanced. I think so many people have convictions now like fighting outside a club and some young men given custodial sentences for rape when they are decent people who weren't thinking with the head at the time. It's so complicated now.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
when i shook that kid harrassing me the parents called the police the police asked if i was on drugs i said prescription drugs they asked what for, the policeman closed his book, my feet didn't touch the ground

after most of the night in the cells the policeman got me to sign a caution for assualt, he said it'd be off my records in 3 yrs, i'd have signed anything to get out

then came crb checks then cautions were included

whether anyone will accept my version for "attacking a child"

Heard on the bus "he's mentally ill, he attacked a child, the police were called and he denied everything, and there was nothing they could do" when i told my mother she started crying and saying you've got to get away from those vicious people

guess with the torys attitude to those large familys on benefits, i'm having the last laugh

T

Tabby 88

I have seen similar things in work and from a PCSO where i live. We were talking about a man behaving strangely outside the shops and i had said he looked unwell and they weren't very nice about him, told me i should stay away from him. I think people frown upon the single mums with several kids, mums who scream and drag kids about and swear at them, and people kicking their dog, much more than mentally ill.

I am nervous around people with schizophrenia and do check they aren't following me, aren't sitting behind me, because of media lately with knife crime and psychosis. People are scared but i think shaking a child who is harrasing you, the police should have told the child off first, and then checked you were well, and talked to you to make sure you wouldn't lose it again. Maybe in the past they would have helped you move. I hope people around here never find out about my mental illness. That would be bad. I'd have to move.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
was just watching a programme about paedophile hunters maybe though i'm not a paedophile, i shouldn't have shared shaking a kid

schitzoprenics. they say a lot of people tick a box saying they wouldn't be comfortable with one as a neighbour, i wouldn't and i've got the diagnosis, i've had too many drug refusenik neighbours, but people know my views, an old gammon

T

Tabby 88

I almost hit a child once and i was helping out in the school at the time. We were sitting on the floor and i went to hit her leg or something, i was so angry, she wasn't listening to me and was not very likeable (not her fault). I hit the floor in front of her really hard, at the last minute, rather than her.

When i was a child, my friend had a sister who was mentally disabled. I just did not like her so i pushed her very hard on my bed. They never came over again, and i don't even think the girl could have told her dad what happened, no speech, but what a bad thing of me to do. No reason, not her fault, just me.

It's very common. Just because the kid wasn't yours. I bet the mum hits the kid all the time. I've seen my friend kick her dog across the kitchen floor. So much goes on behind closed doors. The problem is the media and schizophrenia or autism or bpd being blamed for murder and multiple stabbings. It scares everyone else and makes people with those diagnoses feel the worst. It is good for benefits hopefully.

My gp won't leave me in the waiting room for a minute, even if i am early or late, i am straight in. She sits very far from me, far from the desk, and there seems to always be a member of staff checking on when i come out. It is very upsetting.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
getting a bit off thread but talking about hiding mental illness, if you lose contact with services or they close your case you'll have problems getting supportive references if your benefits are reviewed

every time you use services well people gossip it gets around, i don't think i can hide it, but on the other hand there are worse rumours if someone appears in social housing out the blue my age, it's like if i tried to hide it from an employer, they'll asssume prison and a pretty serious crime to have served so many years

your lucky your gp sees you immediately mine expects me to wait an hour in a crowded surgery with social anxiety