• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Russia Bans Mentally Ill from Driving

R

Rose19602

Thanks for this post....interesting topic, that made me ask a lot of questions, but chiefly this one:

"What grounds do they have for imposing this "proposed" ban?" and "why do they think that the mentally ill are dangerous on the road?"

- Is it psychosis they are targeting....and if so, why are so many other diagnoses included?

- Are people who are medicated included? Or is the risk of psychosis sufficiently reduced as a result?
- Is medication which induces a lack of clarity or sleepiness a target?
- What about people in recovery....is there an amount of time before they can be considered as competent again?

This article is lacking information.

....and what about tourists to Russia with mental illness.....will we be banned from hiring cars and how will they monitor this? It would put me off considerably, if I had to declare my mental health status when hiring a car. Do they want to deter tourism? Vast numbers of the population who can afford to travel (Europe and US/Canada/Australia etc) have large percentages of their population on psychiatric medication!! Ha....the Minister for Tourism might like to get involved in this one...although not sure how popular car hire is amongst tourists to Russia! Hmmm.

x

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Alienated

I saw and read that report a over a week ago.. His reasoning is he added Transexuals and Transgenger/Transvestites to the mental critera for being a delusional psychosis.. They are not allowed to get driving license now.

T

Topcat

@alienated - that's outrageous!

Maybe I should move to Russia to join my driving-banned mental brethren...

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I saw and read that report a over a week ago.. His reasoning is he added Transexuals and Transgenger/Transvestites to the mental critera for being a delusional psychosis.. They are not allowed to get driving license now.
Yes, I saw that too. Utterly disgusting and ignorant. :(

Having restrictions on someone who is suicidal is probably a good idea, as perhaps with someone who is experiencing mania and/or someone too twatted on drugs to react in good time.
But what's defined as mental illness over there is downright silly - as indicated by the point above.

A

Alienated

Yes, I saw that too. Utterly disgusting and ignorant. :(

Having restrictions on someone who is suicidal is probably a good idea, as perhaps with someone who is experiencing mania and/or someone too twatted on drugs to react in good time.
But what's defined as mental illness over there is downright silly - as indicated by the point above.
Well that's Russia.. But your going to LOVE this..

The New York Times

A Solution That Now Looks Crazy
‘American Psychosis’ Attacks Mental Health Care

JANUARY 13, 2014