• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Rotten To The Core US Firm Replaces ATOS

S

supergreysmoke

BBC News - Work capability assessments: One million disability checks planned

Work capability assessments: One million disability checks planned

A new company given the contract to assess disabled people for a sickness benefit has told the BBC it will do one million assessments this year.

Maximus is being paid £595m over three years to carry out work capability assessments for people applying for employment and support allowance.

The Department of Work and Pensions cut short a contract with Atos last year after "significant quality failures".

Maximus is promising to clear a backlog of around 600,000 claims.

It is also planning to reduce the time people wait for their results from at least 120 days to the recommended 90 days.

President of health services, Leslie Wolfe, told BBC Radio 4's You and Yours programme: "Part of what Atos didn't have was a [big] enough team to keep up with the wait times.

"That's one of our first priorities. We need to clear about one million [work capability assessment] claims this year.

"We'll actually need hundreds of new healthcare professionals across the UK in order to clear the backlog that's there, which is about 500,000-600,000 people, and also to keep up with the ongoing new volume of claims that customers are putting in."

Incompetence, discrimination and 'fraud': the US company that could take over from Atos - disability news service

(continued, wish I had a gnu somedays...good thing I haven't though I suppose...)

Last edited by a moderator:
bulbie

bulbie

They make it sound like every man and his dog are putting a claim in just for the hell of it.

S

supergreysmoke

I loathe yanks on the best of days. Bunch of loud mouthed warmongering evil scum the whole lot of them. It'll be great to have a chance to take issue with their remorseless military campaign methods - and results.

bulbie

bulbie

When is this being implemented? Things have already gone to hell as it is, this sounds a billion times worse.

S

supergreysmoke

March onwards - it's about saving money not helping anyone. I'm not concerned if I've enough to live on....question is will I be sanctioned into a desperate act if they place me in the Wraq Group. >> ?? and that desperate act might well be a biggie - cos this is schizophrenia I've been diagnosed with not the common cold. And somewhere inside me there is a hell of a lot of anger at the system and how it's treating me (and other folks) and that's on top of all the other crap from a lifetime...

bulbie

bulbie

Aye indeed. My OH has been awarded DLA indefinitely but it means shit. They still review him every year to make sure there is no change, and they would probably stop his money altogether if it weren't for his support worker. I on the other hand get jack shit because I'm not quite disabled enough apparently.

I say lose it completely if they sanction you. Or arm yourself with knowledge and bring them down that way. This will only end when we all work together as one body.

S

supergreysmoke

Don't see anyone from mental health services much lately - less support than when the claim came through last time. I'm no better, actually worse but no one is around to confirm this. Might have to make some veiled comments at interview to get my point across, although whether that'll make a difference? What about I bring a rolled up newspaper and make jabbing/stabbing motions? Got to be careful though...want to make a point, not be tasered, with my heart condition....

bulbie

bulbie

Do your research, print it all out...

...then roll it up and poke them with it.

S

supergreysmoke

Pity fountain pens are not in vogue at the moment....

E

english rose

I've got a solicitor being paid for by Legal Aid, she thinks I've got a good chance of winning my appeal, if I win then as well as my ESA being reinstated & backdated, the Legal Aid for the solicitor's fees will have to be covered - how is that saving money......?:rolleyes: