• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Rocking back and forth

G

gothicminx

Does anyone else rock back and forth when they're anxious? I do it and it makes me feel like I'm crazy.

D

deekay

I used to

it was comforting, actually. Now I don't feel the need so much, but yeah, I can understand doing it, for sure. And I don't think it's crazy at all.

G

gothicminx

It does comfort me definitely. I think it is probably just a different way of fidgeting in order to release some nervous energy but I still fear doing it in public without realising.

keepsafe

keepsafe

Yes its something I don;t always recognise I am doing!

D

DynamitePanda

Yes, I do the same thing.. not actually intense rocking, but, I will kinda move around like that and fidget in my chair (I'm in a wheelchair).

I get severe panic attacks, and my big thing is I start Hyperventillate, and that goes deep into a spiral. Because when that starts, I start to think, "Oh no.. I'm breathing fast again.. this must go away!", then the fact that I don't stop breathing like this, makes me more anxious; so on and so forth. But I'm thankful I have medication to help seize the anxiety before it becomes too bad.

S

starfish

rocking

i rock when i feel distressed. my understanding is that rocking releases feel good chemicals in the brain.

W

warriorprincess

yep i rock a lot too.. I'm always fidgeting and doing something anyway but the rocking or swaying happens all the time. And if i'm in a panic it will turn to full on pacing. I agree it's a nervous energy thing. x