• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

ROCD Recovery After Break Up

D

dudeguyonebillion

So my girlfriend broke up with me last night. She was just super overwhelmed and being the subject of my anxieties didn't help. I don't blame her and I have no resentment towards her. We did talk about trying to work things out in a few months' time when things have calmed down a little.

My question to you guys is this: how do you work on recovering from your ROCD when you're no longer in a relationship. I'm going through CBT therapy right now, and we're coming up with a plan to tackle this. I don't know if we'll be getting back together, but I don't want this to affect my future relationships as much as it did this one. Have any of you gone through a similar situation? How did you manage?

Sorry for the long rambling lmao I've got a lot on my mind.

Z

Zoe1

hi dude guy :welcome: !

I can relate to how you were with this , I do it as well
if I dont watch it
I think the thing for me is there should be alot else going on
besides my relationship
especially catching up with friends and seeking support
which are not easy things to do

so that you're almost moving in the opposite direction
from the person you are in a ' relationship ' with

:grouphug:🐢:goodluck::)

D

dhs94

I don't have much experience in ROCD specifically so don't know how helpful I'll be, BUT you are handling this with an incredible amount of maturity and self awareness, which I think is a really great start to being able to tackle anything.

D

dudeguyonebillion

I don't have much experience in ROCD specifically so don't know how helpful I'll be, BUT you are handling this with an incredible amount of maturity and self awareness, which I think is a really great start to being able to tackle anything.
Thanks, I guess I'm just worried that my OCD will "heal naturally" instead of recovering from hard therapy work. When I'm single, my symptoms tend to become pretty stagnant, but they always come back full force because of that. Now, I guess I'm developing a new theme because I'm so focused on recovering in time to win my girlfriend back that it's all I think about. I suppose therapy will help me sort that out, though.

Z

Zoe1

I dont think feeling rushed with a time goal
would work with something like that
you dont know how long it will take you to heal
and if shes the right person she will wait

D

dudeguyonebillion

The way I see it, this disorder is going to make it hard for anyone to want to be in a relationship with me - especially when their lives are already so busy with school, work, family, etc. So it's up to me to get better. I love this girl a lot and I hope I can make it work after recovery. You're right, though, I shouldn't rush myself; that'll only make it harder.

Z

Zoe1

n yeah this is hard
I'm always having to let go of people
or be left by them, because of my recovery
wanting to go at its own pace

some of my friends and relatives
seem to value me as a person though

D

dudeguyonebillion

n yeah this is hard
I'm always having to let go of people
or be left by them, because of my recovery
wanting to go at its own pace

some of my friends and relatives
seem to value me as a person though
I'm sorry to hear that. I've been pretty lucky with supportive friends and family members. Understandably, with ROCD, it's a lot harder on a romantic partner though.

I truly believe recovery is possible. We all just have to be kind to ourselves. Take it one day at a time, y'know?

Z

Zoe1

yes I do

putting your recovery first is important