• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

rOCD - I just broke up with my boyfriend and I miss him

B

Bloom101

I broke up with my boyfriend a month ago due to overwhelming thoughts that he is not the right one for me. I was hesitant to invite him to family gatherings, I magnified his flaws, and constantly thought about our future together and how it would not work. I was impaired by all the thoughts and found it very hard to go about daily tasks. I was caught in a whirlwind of worries and needed out so I broke up. It felt so relieving for the first 2 weeks after the break-up. I could sleep well again, and all the thoughts disappeared. Now its been a month and for the past two weeks, I have been missing him a lot. I know he loves me deeply. This is my second break-up with him. Honestly, I would love to get back together with him and try again and try to ignore the thoughts, but I have no guarantees. I might suddenly panic again and hurt him for the third time. I don't want to hurt him again, but I want to try to give it another go. All my friends and my therapist have discouraged me from getting back together. I do see their point, but I can't help but wonder, if I can ignore the thoughts and build a future with my boyfriend. Is there a way I could approach this relationship without triggering my OCD?

H

Hello513Zombie

I broke up with my boyfriend a month ago due to overwhelming thoughts that he is not the right one for me. I was hesitant to invite him to family gatherings, I magnified his flaws, and constantly thought about our future together and how it would not work. I was impaired by all the thoughts and found it very hard to go about daily tasks. I was caught in a whirlwind of worries and needed out so I broke up. It felt so relieving for the first 2 weeks after the break-up. I could sleep well again, and all the thoughts disappeared. Now its been a month and for the past two weeks, I have been missing him a lot. I know he loves me deeply. This is my second break-up with him. Honestly, I would love to get back together with him and try again and try to ignore the thoughts, but I have no guarantees. I might suddenly panic again and hurt him for the third time. I don't want to hurt him again, but I want to try to give it another go. All my friends and my therapist have discouraged me from getting back together. I do see their point, but I can't help but wonder, if I can ignore the thoughts and build a future with my boyfriend. Is there a way I could approach this relationship without triggering my OCD?
Honestly it would be up to you and your ex. As far as I am concerned matters of the heart are best left to those involved if you are looking for advice they may lead you astray. You should follow your heart.