• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Risperidone

R

Rachie86

Founding Member
Do any females find that their periods have stopped whilst taking Risperidone? I've heard that this is a side effect of the meds and i'm on 3mg a night and mine have stopped so i'm really worried

D

Dollit

According to the PIL this is a possible side effect. May I ask why you're worried if this is a side effect that you were aware of? What aspect of it worries you?

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Staff Member on Leave
I have taken rispiridone a few years ago and mine did stop, but i was also at the age when they would anyway. So ill never know for sure.

Talk it over with your GP if you have any concerns

S

Starbright

My current drug, amisulpride, makes mine scarce. I get them every so often but not every month. It also makes my breasts larger.

A

Apotheosis

My current drug, amisulpride, makes mine scarce. I get them every so often but not every month. It also makes my breasts larger.
Amisulpride makes my breasts larger as well - & I am a man! I have a nice handful - It has made me very self conscious when taking off my top - especially down the beach in the sun. My friends assure me not to worry - but it's not nice when I have the kind of chest I like to see on a woman (I like small breasts, as most men do). Never yet figured out the whole female fascination with implants?
I am around 16 stone - which does have an effect on things - but my weight is the tablets as well. More things to add to the catalogue of side effects. I hope no one minds me being candid here.

S

Starbright

No, not at all, it's interesting. My breasts were already reasonably large but now they're ridiculous and I'm quite self-conscious of them. I have found some men like them though (good to know I'm not a complete turn-off!) and some men have entire conversations with them. I'm also large due to different meds over the last five years. It's annoying. I feel unattractive.

A

Apotheosis

No, not at all, it's interesting. My breasts were already reasonably large but now they're ridiculous and I'm quite self-conscious of them. I have found some men like them though (good to know I'm not a complete turn-off!) and some men have entire conversations with them. I'm also large due to different meds over the last five years. It's annoying. I feel unattractive.
I know a number of men who go crazy for large breasts - the larger the better. We are all different. It is who we are as people which really is the most important thing - personality & being a decent human being are far more interesting than what someone looks like.

whisper

whisper

Founding Member
hi
i was a bit worried about the possible side effects of risperidone when i started taking it, especially the possiblillity of growing of breasts :eek:, although when one of my friends found out it gave her a good laugh with the visual image of a skinny red/purple haired guy with huge breasts so its not all bad :) lol
but on a slightly more serious note these are the possible side effects that my doc mentioned

• aching muscles and joints
• changes in vision
• confusion
• fast or irregular heartbeat (palpitations)
• fainting spells
• increased thirst or hunger
• increased need to pass urine
• inner restlessness, unable to keep still
• loss of balance, difficulty walking or falls
• stiffness, spasms, trembling

• constipation
• decreased sexual ability
• difficulty sleeping
• drowsiness or dizziness
• headache
• increase or decrease in saliva
• increased sensitivity to the sun
• injection site pain, redness or swelling
• menstrual irregularity
• nausea, vomiting
• stomach pain
• stuffy or runny nose, cough
• unusual tiredness
• weight gain & enlarged breasts

i would like to say though these are POSSIBLE side effects
because at first when the doc said this when i asked about side effects
i was like "what!!!!" :scared: "all of these are gonna happen???!?!?!?!", and the doc had to get me to stop trying to cling to the ceiling to explain that they were only possible side effects :redface:

D

Dollit

Whisper has a point. The drug companies have to publicize all possible side effects but lots of people don't get any at all with any drugs and I get one with Lithium that I shouldn't get but it is the Lithium! I think it's important to look at what the positive effects of medication are before reacting to the side effects (as long as they're not too extreme).

A

Apotheosis

I get side effects from the Amisulpride, some are easier to manage than others. I worry as to what the longer term effects could be - such as tardive dyskinesia, diabetes, liver problems, as well as other problems with major organs. Muscle wasting & weakening, especially of the neck is also a potential side effect.

I have these main side effects which are definitely the meds –
1 Severe weight gain.
2 Breast enlargement.
3 Severe Sexual dysfunction.
4 Blunted & lack of feelings/emotions.
5 Sluggishness, slowness of movement, lethargy, foggy thinking, often feeling exhausted & having a severe lack of energy. [Some of this is not wholly the tablets; but the tablets play a big part in this]

I also get in varying degrees & put reason largely on the tablets the following – difficulty sleeping, being too sleepy, shallow sleep, nightmares (worse than before), & very vivid dreams. Blurred vision, feeling very sick at times (can often be every day, diarrhoea & runny stools. Occasional dizzy spells & sometimes very dizzy as if I am going to pass out. Skin Rashes.

From the list above I can also identify with these - aching muscles and joints, fast or irregular heartbeat (palpitations), increased thirst or hunger, increased sensitivity to the sun, stomach pain.

As it goes the tablets that I am on probably have the least side effects of allot of other meds, that are within the same category.

Add to this the dependence on a powerful drug & the highly complex problems associated with withdrawal, which are such a minefield; I now accept having to take the tablets. All things considered & weighed – have I been better to be on tablets? I’d say No, personally. If I had received proper & more thorough assistance when I first experienced the psychotic symptoms & received competent alternative help – then I strongly believe that I could have got through the experiences without the need for meds. Given the orthodox bio chemical model – there was no chance of a psychological approach to my “problems”, & given my present circumstances – there are very few other avenues in relation to support & med free alternatives which are within my means. So tablets for life it is then; much as that saddens me.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
Amisulpride makes my breasts larger as well - & I am a man! I have a nice handful - It has made me very self conscious when taking off my top - especially down the beach in the sun.
My Seroquel had given me small breasts as well. When I was on holiday in Majorca and took my top off, my brother was always teasing me about my "Moobs" - short for "man-boobs" :LOL: ( for those that have never heard of that term before - I never had ). When I saw the photo's, even with my t-shirt on, I did really look like I had a small pair :redface:. Since I got back and started with the gym again they've gone down a heck of a lot and I'm getting my pecks back again :clap:. Six pack to follow in coming weeks, or months at the rate it's currently taking :mad:.

Other side effects I have are:

- an erratic sleeping pattern along with regular nightmares each week.
- drowseyness along with talking quietly, takes some effort to get the words out sometimes.
- dry mouth and regular thirst
- occasional muscle spasms, most when in bed and resting - one of my legs tends to kick which is annoying and I get a shock from the suddeness of it.
- needing to pee a lot more often
- headaches
- slower movement
- pounding in the left side of my head near my ear sometimes - have had ears checked and I've flushed them out anyway, no change.
- increased heart-rate
- muscle weakness, although when I start working out in the gym it gets better

and maybe a few others that I can't think of at the moment.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
I can live with most of those, but my sleeping pattern has got a lot worse since my med increase. I'm going to ask the doctor to reduce it again, at least we tried it - no point increasing if it's only making you feel worse than before.

~minnie~

~minnie~

periods

Hi there, just wanted to say that my periods stopped whilst I was taking resperidone and it also made me stop sleeping, I was awake till the early hours of the morning. But I have just been told by my social worker that I wouldn't have been prescribed it if it made my periods stop.