• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Risperidone Withdrawal?

G

gt4driver4life

Hello there. Just over one year ago I started taking risperidone 2mg To get rid of some voices that I was hearing that gradually subsided in a few months. about a month ago my dosage was reduced from 2mg right to 1mg. With in a few days I started feeling weird, hard to discribe really just felt like I was more agitated, and seemed a little spaced out at times and was thinking about it all the time and started to get stressed out. I did not hear any voices. I was bad for a day then It seemed like it got slightly better in the next 2 weeks untill I told my doctor about It. I asked him if it was withdrawal and he told me there is no such thing as withdrawal from risperidone and if I feel bad in any way I should go back up to the 2mg. I took his advice. Im just wondering now if there is any possiblity my doc is wrong and I was just experiencing withdrawal because I really wanted to get off this drug. I thinking of asking him for 1.5mg the next time i see him.

keepsafe

keepsafe

I tapered off respiridone to aripiprazole - I'm sure there must be some side effects of coming off the medication, although because I crossed over to another a.p. I didn't get much, fuzzy head though.

I have recently tried to come down a dose in my a.p. and it made me highly agitated and a little out of control.

Sorry this isn't helping much but wanted to reply.

KS
x

Angels_Fire

Angels_Fire

Hello there. Just over one year ago I started taking risperidone 2mg To get rid of some voices that I was hearing that gradually subsided in a few months. about a month ago my dosage was reduced from 2mg right to 1mg. With in a few days I started feeling weird, hard to discribe really just felt like I was more agitated, and seemed a little spaced out at times and was thinking about it all the time and started to get stressed out. I did not hear any voices. I was bad for a day then It seemed like it got slightly better in the next 2 weeks untill I told my doctor about It. I asked him if it was withdrawal and he told me there is no such thing as withdrawal from risperidone and if I feel bad in any way I should go back up to the 2mg. I took his advice. Im just wondering now if there is any possiblity my doc is wrong and I was just experiencing withdrawal because I really wanted to get off this drug. I thinking of asking him for 1.5mg the next time i see him.
Hi gt,

I've never took risperidone before but my cousin is on them, he's on 5mg a day for tourettes to ease his tics amongst other things. He stopped taking them all together because he just one day refused to take them because they weren't working that well for him anymore, he's 11. Anyway, he didn't experience any withdrawal whatsoever. He was ok but everyone is different. It could've just been abit of a psychological thing?? I don't know.

Stay strong and be safe xx

T

themb

Your doc is 100% wrong about withdrawal and likely every other thing he believes he's expert on too. I had a stroke 2 days after abruptly stopping Risperidone.

R

Rose19602

Hi,
and :welcome: to the forum.

Your doctor does not appear to be very well informed at all.

I would suggest that you follow this link from David Healy who is a psychopharmacologist and psychiatrist and who advises the MHRA on psychiatric drug withdrawl syndromes. I think your doctor can be assured that he knows a great deal more than most GPs.

http://www.davidhealy.org.php53-23.dfw1-1.websitetestlink.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/DBM-Paper-Antipsychotics-for-Takers1.pdf

His new RxSK website informs patients about drug withdrawl, side effects etc of prescription medication.

Withdrawl is a personal thing with some people being more susceptible than others. Risperidone is a pretty heavy duty drug. It extremely likely that you are experiencing withdrawl effects from a lower dose.

The general advice with any taper of dose is to reduce by 10% p/month. Some drugs are harder to reduce than others.

Read that link! Then go back to your GP armed with a copy of it.
You may have a mental health problem but you should still be listened to.

x

|||ME|||

|||ME|||

Your "Doctor" is plain wrong. Neuroleptics can and do have very severe withdrawals.

Read links in my signature for advice on withdrawal. If your "Doctor" doesn't believe in withdrawal, I'd be inclined to get another one. If this isn't a possibility I'd recognise they know absolutely nothing about these drugs and educate myself and take myself off using a slow and gentle taper without telling them.

You'll generally find the people who know most about withdrawal are those who've actually taken them and withdrawn. If "Doctors" had to take them they'd think very differently about them. What you're describing are some classic withdrawal experiences (in that there are lots of different things that can happen to someone in withdrawal and those are some of them).

T

themb

FWIW this seems a common mistake. At least I know that my doctor (top consultant no less, the #1 in birmingham) assured me there are no withdrawal effects to AP's.

But that's nothing compared to my GP who told me the other day that pharmaceuticals NEVER have permanent effects.

|||ME|||

|||ME|||

FWIW this seems a common mistake. At least I know that my doctor (top consultant no less, the #1 in birmingham) assured me there are no withdrawal effects to AP's.
I'd love to know who decides someone is a "top consultant". He knows FA.

But that's nothing compared to my GP who told me the other day that pharmaceuticals NEVER have permanent effects.
Delusional imo, dose him up on neuroleptics, I've heard it works and there's absolutely no harm in trying them forever :)

___

You might like this thread

R

Rose19602

Ha! Tell that to the hundreds of people who die early from the effects of these drugs, or develop dyskinesias, akinesias and parkinsonism.

Those effects are often pretty permanent....especially for those in a grave!
x

G

gt4driver4life

Your doc is 100% wrong about withdrawal and likely every other thing he believes he's expert on too. I had a stroke 2 days after abruptly stopping Risperidone.
I told my doctor about this and he said that is impossible, there is no way someone could have a stroke because of risperidone. When I tell him I really don't feel as sharp as I would be off the drug he says that this is unlikey too. I have never been diagnosed with schizophrenia. He told me again he knows how antipsychotics work and they would not cause withdrawal. I even got him to burst out laughing when I told him I read otherwise on the internet. The doctor I had before him even told me risperidone has no sexual side effects when I complained, at least the second one admited it may after I kept bring it up. Is their a reason psychiatrists would lie to their patients? He is leaving the clinic and I am going to see a new doc in a few months but I feel he may just have the same opinion as two residents have told me the same things. They are putting me down again to 1 mg in 6 months so I guess I will suck it up and try the 1mg next time for longer because they probably will not give me 1.75 or 1.5mg. My doctor told me if im not feeling better than I was on 2mg on the 1mg I'm most likley psychotic. If he is wrong and there is withdrawal how long should I expect it to last before giving up? What should I look for? I mainly had this feeling like I was thinking more than usual last time I went down.

Read that link! Then go back to your GP armed with a copy of it.
You may have a mental health problem but you should still be listened to.
x
I will do that I should of, forgot last time.

Last edited:
Kerome

Kerome

What a bunch of douche-bag doctors. I've been taking risperidone for nearly 2 years and have tried to get off it twice before. For me it does have sexual side effects and it definitely causes withdrawal! Both the attempts to ditch it had rebound effects associated with them, insomnia, semi-voices and things. Admittedly I didn't taper the dose well.

My doctor here in the Netherlands told me to reduce the dose by 0.5 mg per month, so a lot slower than a 10% taper every 3 days. Nearly a month in, so far so good.

|||ME|||

|||ME|||

I told my doctor about this and he said that is impossible, there is no way someone could have a stroke because of risperidone.
When I tell him I really don't feel as sharp as I would be off the drug he says that this is unlikey too.
He told me again he knows how antipsychotics work and they would not cause withdrawal.
The doctor I had before him even told me risperidone has no sexual side effects when I complained
Your Doctors are morons. Totally full of shit. All those things can and do happen. Some very regularly. Some of those things they must know.

Is their a reason psychiatrists would lie to their patients?
Dishonesty for self interest. Dishonesty through ignorance.

It's an abuse of power.

...My doctor told me if im not feeling better than I was on 2mg on the 1mg I'm most likley psychotic.
wtf, this is a pretty spectacular level of idiocy. They decide you're psychotic based on that???? lol.

If he is wrong and there is withdrawal how long should I expect it to last before giving up?
he is definitely wrong.

It's a how longs a piece of string thing.

What should I look for? I mainly had this feeling like I was thinking more than usual last time I went down.
Anything that changes when/after you change the dose of a psychiatric drug, drug changes are the primary suspect for being the cause. Look out for anything you notice different - both emotionally and physically. Lots of stuff can happen - not all of that will. Pay attention.

calypso

calypso

Admin
There is a reason that Risperidone was banned for the elderly. Lots of studies, especially those in the Canada, proved that it can cause strokes and heart attacks. It was seen as the number one "bad" drug. Admittedly the elderly are a highly vulnerable group, but hey, the causal link is definitely there.

Shiro

Shiro

Cautionary Post to all coming off meds suddenly.

You can withdrawl from Risperidone, I have.
I suddenly came off of Celexa and Risperidone at the smae time a bit over a year ago.
I was very sick for a month, only bland foods, ginger ale, water, etc.
I spent a good bit of those days in the bathroom.
I also got very scared and it was very sudden. I was emotionally very bad- I didn't think well.
I was on I think 0.5 mg of Risperidone and 20mg of Celexa.

Last edited by a moderator:
calypso

calypso

Admin
Above post is a Cautionary Tale and NOT to be used as a method to use. As most of you may well know, coming off any meds suddenly is really BAD news, but anti psychotics in particular! Don't do it! The distress and physical symptoms are bad as hell as Shiro points out. It can also be dangerous physically as well as mentally.

G

gt4driver4life

It's a how longs a piece of string thing.
???. All the other drugs I've done the withdrawal lasted about a week maybe barley noticeable after two weeks. Maybe I should make myself clear, withdrawal from this drug causes insomnia I know that, I want to know about rebound symptoms.

Could Somebody Please answer the following question: How long could Rebound symptoms last for this drug assuming a reduction in dosage of 25%?

Kerome

Kerome

It's personal, but I'm now two and a bit months into my 0.5 mg per month stepped withdrawal from 2 down to nothing, and I'm dealing with old things popping up in little dribs and drabs the whole month after I reduce the dose. Not full on psychosis, but low level things like the way you can think you hear something on the wind, or a voice in noise or the sound of running water for just a second.

It probably really depends on your condition, how long you've been taking the drugs, your body, how stable your environment is, and how much support you are getting from the people around you.

|||ME|||

|||ME|||

???. All the other drugs I've done the withdrawal lasted about a week maybe barley noticeable after two weeks. Maybe I should make myself clear, withdrawal from this drug causes insomnia I know that, I want to know about rebound symptoms.

Could Somebody Please answer the following question: How long could Rebound symptoms last for this drug assuming a reduction in dosage of 25%?
It's a difficult question to answer, and not all withdrawal effects are easily identifiable as so, so Kerome's answer is as close as you'll get. The medical profession tend to think it's two weeks. Evidence does suggest "relapse" up to 10 months out is probably a withdrawal effect.

I've known of people have withdrawal syndromes that last for years when they come off too fast (for their bodies, these people can be following medical advice). They were generally on higher doses for longer than you though, so don't be too alarmed.

The main thing people can actually do something about that determines the severity of your withdrawal effects is how you taper off them. If you're getting withdrawal effects reduce by lower amounts.

See this thread:

http://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/thread54939.html

The main thing is this, any problems reinstate previous dose you were okay on, stabilise, hold for 2 - 4 weeks, reduce by a lower amount - even if it means cutting up tablets (see thread for how).

Good withdrawal practice is to avoid withdrawal problems (by slower gentler tapering schedules) rather than push through them. Prevention is easier than waiting for things to improve after they kick off.

Last edited:
G

gt4driver4life

Yes I totally agree with going down gradually. I wanted to go down .25 but my doc said this was pointless. I have been at 1.5 now down from 2 for a little less than a month. There have been a few instances where I got this sense people may be talking about me until I reassured my self they were not. I cant really tell if its going away at the moment. My main concern is that I talk to myself more than I did on the 2. At times it affects my focus. I believe I have always had a problem with add so this complicates things. I had this same problem when I tried the 1 mg and my doc said it was possibly a psychotic symptom.

I honestly feel like this drug has rewired my brain or something, I've never had this problem before. I mean talking to yourself is normal I've been doing it all my life, I did it on the 2mg just it seems a little excessive on the lower doses. If it is a precursor to psychotic symptoms I guess it would be a sign I would be a lot worse on no meds?? I wonder if this is something you can get rid of with out meds like with mediation or extreme exercise? I don't know about that at the moment because its not clearly phycotic but if I get any semi voices after a month I will definitely go back to 2.

Last edited:
Kerome

Kerome

Lack of focus and talking to myself more are issues I have as well. I'm on 1 mg now a month and a half after starting reducing from 2 mg, and sometimes I fade out for like 5-10 seconds even in the middle of a conversation, I just lose it and then I'm back. But it's something that comes and goes, and if I focus I can pull it together quite easily. It's been a little more present the last few weeks, but I'm sticking with it thinking that it will pass.

My view is that these things are side effects of the withdrawal and you have to push through and be persistent here, until they die down. If it gets really bad - no sleep and proper psychotic symptoms for weeks - I will consider going back but there are a lot of good reasons for me to try quite hard to lose the meds.

And Risperidone does rewire your brain, you get used to its presence and it affects quite a few systems. The very long term effects are not good either and that's a big reason to get off it.