• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Risperidone has numbed my hugging/kissing etc

N

needhelp45

Hi. I atleast think its Risperidone, heres the story. It all started 6 years ago when I started taking Effexor for anxiety, my hugging and kissing then went numb, meaning I don't feel anything, hugging a hot girl or kissing her, you don't feel it, its dead. Eventially I then went on to seraquel xr, the same problems still occurred. On seraquel xr I was on something like 500mg and my hugging and kissing were still numb, when we increased the dose up to 900mg down stairs started to get numb(meaning you dont feel the "bliss" when you do what guys do), so I assumed okay.. my hugging and kissing must still be numb because it transferred from Effexor to Seraquel XR, then I thought okay..if this went numb eswell then the lower xr is the more my hugging and kissing will start to come back. I also suffered bloatness since Effexor and constipation when im going to the toilet. Which I guess ESWELL must of transferred from Effexor to Seraquel XR. I noticed that when we were coming off Seraquel XR a lil bit too fast down to 200mg the toilet problem was fixed I could do it normally again, and down stairs started to come back too. While we were on 200mg we slowly went on this other one (I forgot its name) for a lil while and the toilet problem came back and down stairs went numb again, Seraquel xr was then completely removed, i then later came off this new drug one due to eating too much and went to Risperidone. Same problems were still there. I recently came off Risperidone and started taking zeldox and fluoxetine. On zeldox and fluoxetine i don't know if its transferred to that too now because it could be Risperidone because my psychiatrist said it takes 2-3 months to get out of your system, which is still not yet up its been a month and a half, and still no sign of those feelings coming back. I was on these medications during this 6 year time. So now im currently taking Zeldox and Fluoxetine still. Now my psychiatrist says she has "no idea when the feelings will come back, i cant guarantee that it will" which worrys me. I checked the side effects for Zeldox and Fluoxetine and it looks like im safe, only now i don't eat at all in the day only at night sometimes thanks to Fluoxetine my psychiatrist said, although i think its zeldox because i remember this happened as soon as i shifted from Risperidone to Zeldox.(So she could be wrong this is her opinion, but that's what i remember)

So what im trying to say is, did my hugging and kissing go numb because it transferred from drug to drug and downstairs is now numb too because of Risperdone still not out of my body? Will my feelings ever come back? :cry: Or is it brain damaged for good and permanent for the rest of my life?:cry: Because i read on the internet back in 2011 from some guy in google search that said "These medications are corrupt, they numb your feelings and give you brain damage that never comes back, its caused partners to divorce eachother because there lover is not showing any affection since they cant feel anything, its caused peoples lifes to be ruined" I don't know if this is true but if it is i cant live the rest of my life without having a girlfriend or marriage or even holding my baby for the first time who i wont even feel in my arms.. This is such sad news and scares the crap out of me.. Will my feelings ever come back? What is going on?

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi and :welcome:

I can only offer you anecdotal evidence as I'm not expert on these things but there are other members who have more experience and hopefully they will be along soon.

I'm aware a lot of psych meds cause sexual side effects such as lack of feeling and it sounds like you have been on quite a few. I haven't tried most of them, but I have been on risperidone, and it took for me about 6 months to get it out of my system. I guess it is different for everyone.

I think fluoxetine can affect sexual feeling as well though, but again I only have anecdotal evidence of someone I knew who was on it and stuff I've read on the net.

I hope someone will be along soon who can give you better information. Hope you find the forum helpful.

Kerome

Kerome

Risperidone definitely does affect sexual feeling and recovery is slow, I've been off it now for about four months and some things are still not the same, pure physical stuff, I'm not even talking about emotional responsiveness. It helps the more you exercise things... It does come back to a certain extent.

N

needhelp45

Hi. Thanks for hugs, and thanks for the welcome. So it seems 6 months is the answer, as 4 months posted by you Kerome nothings come back yet. Hmm. Toasted Crumpet, when abouts did your feelings come back, did it come back slowly close to 6 months or come on the last day? I allways thought it was meant to come back slowly but Kerome says it doesn't and his at 4 months. Thank you so much for your answers its brought relief back into my life. So I can still get my hugging and kissing etc back :) that's great news! Do you guys know if risperdone could also cause the bloatness and toilet problems side effect, or is it from zeldox or fluoxetine, I have to pinpoint this down whats causing it so I can fix it. As for fluoxetine causing the hugging kissing numbness, I cant really come off this drug as its helping me a lot. Any tips on what I should do? Thank you so much for your help :) Anyone reading this and know the answers, please don't hesitate to post here, I need all the help I can get.

N

needhelp45

Kerome has yours returned yet? Its been 6 months, any luck? Toasted Crumped please respond, I really wanna to know how this works

Last edited:
Kerome

Kerome

Six months on, most things are back. There are still a few things which are not as they were, physical detail, but having sex feels pretty much as it did before.

N

needhelp45

Is the hugs and kisses back? Good for you that things are now starting to imrpove

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I've been off risperidone for years so not sure my current experience would be helpful to you, a lot of other things going on eg menstrual difficulties, and a lot of other things complicating the picture when I came off risperidone, eg history of anorexia.

I would say things were pretty much normal in that department after several months off it, though.

But have you investigated whether it is the fluoxetine causing this, as far as I know that can have sexual side effects too.

Kerome

Kerome

I don't currently have any problems feeling affection or having appropriate physical sensations while hugging and kissing. My libido is more or less back where it was, maybe even up a little from what it was. So in terms of emotional life it doesn't seem to have affected anything permanently... But I was on quite a low dose, 2 mg.

N

needhelp45

Thanks you guys.. Yeah im aware as you mentioned it could be fluoxetine too, ill keep that in mind as I can ween that off after couple months or when I get better to a low enough dose to get rest of my feelings if there are any missing, back. It seems to be mostly risperdone. Its good news to know 6 months is key, another 3 months to go. Thanks a lot for your help you guys not even the doctors knew when it came back, how ironic. You's gave me so much hope. I appreciate it lots.

N

needhelp45

Sorry to resurrect this topic. But I have a few more questions as the deadline draws near 6 months. Okay, so far I got a month and a half to go. Kerome, when and how far in did your feelings come back, or start coming back? Month and a half? one month? 3 weeks? 2? do you remember? I must know this because im hopeing its not fluoxetine. Im just wondering did your feelings come back slowly or all at once on the last day? Thanks

Kerome

Kerome

Let's see, how to put this... Quite a topic for a Sunday morning before breakfast... I didn't always have a sexual partner so some of this is from noticing what happens around masturbation, I hope it answers your questions.

For me sexual recovery from risperidone happened quite gradually. First thing to come back was the will to have sex, I was pretty uninterested before. Things were kind of numb, and responsiveness was low. That responsiveness gradually improved over the months. Masturbation sessions got a bit shorter, things felt more immediate and alive after four months. Most of the improvement happened towards the middle and end of the time frame. Towards the end I started getting morning erections again. Ejaculate volume hasn't fully recovered by a long way even after eight months.

That's about it. I haven't kept detailed notes but certainly most of the unresponsiveness was gone after four five months. But things have kept getting closer to my sexual experiences of before I started taking risp, which is a good thing.

S

Se7en

Hi, when I was weaned off Risperdal, my doctor put me on an antidepressant (Venlafaxine) which helped tremendously & I was already taking the anti anxiety beta blocker Propranolol, as it helped me cope with the crazy side effects from the Risperdal. That was 3 years ago, I'm still taking V & P, at increased dosages but I've had no problems whatsoever.

That R is some crazy stuff! I wouldn't wish that on anyone, it's so weird! The thing I noticed the most with it, besides being withdrawn, was I couldn't come up with conversation, it was impossible for me to even think of something to say?! & I wasn't moved by music. If anything, music annoyed me which was really bothersome to me because music is one of the greatest joys in life, IMO.

Keep us posted & just be patient. I hope you get where you want to be sooner than later but as usual, it's a process!