Risk of developing Schizophrenia - some help please

J

johnram

I am trying to understand my risk of developing schizophrenia, given my mother had it. I have had a lot of trauma, hence the ask.

So for context, my mother had post natal after i was born, but that later became schizophrenia. It has stayed with her since (over 30 years) and has mostly used Depixol to treat it.

Now, we had a traumatic childhood and more trauma beyond, and have gotten through all that. I am now 37 and given the following factors i dont think i have a risk but just want to check and understand:

- my mothers family doesnt have schizophrenia, it appears very situational (bad arranged marriage, first time leaving her home country)
- my father doesnt and neither does any of his family
- my brothers and i have had a traumatic upbringing and that hasnt posed a risk
- i have done lsd twice, and didnt impact me, also did some weed, my brother did some other drugs and was fine
- Have gone through depression and addictions myself and come out ok
- my age is much older than when a man should get it (i am 37 and i believe nearing the drop off for no risk?)
- I dont have any symptoms etc
- her circumstances were specific

hope that sets a scene, and appreciate any guidance. as i have had my own mental health journey, this is just one thing i want to understand given i feel i have moved forward a lot.

thank you kindly

Inter Vivos

Inter Vivos

I suggest you search the www; using a search engine. Be careful with the results; use authoritative sources only.

J

johnram

thank you, i have done that already just wanted personal opinions as its a wide wide field and wanted validation from those that have some experience
i have also asked my therapist

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

I am trying to understand my risk of developing schizophrenia, given my mother had it. I have had a lot of trauma, hence the ask.

So for context, my mother had post natal after i was born, but that later became schizophrenia. It has stayed with her since (over 30 years) and has mostly used Depixol to treat it.

Now, we had a traumatic childhood and more trauma beyond, and have gotten through all that. I am now 37 and given the following factors i dont think i have a risk but just want to check and understand:

- my mothers family doesnt have schizophrenia, it appears very situational (bad arranged marriage, first time leaving her home country)
- my father doesnt and neither does any of his family
- my brothers and i have had a traumatic upbringing and that hasnt posed a risk
- i have done lsd twice, and didnt impact me, also did some weed, my brother did some other drugs and was fine
- Have gone through depression and addictions myself and come out ok
- my age is much older than when a man should get it (i am 37 and i believe nearing the drop off for no risk?)
- I dont have any symptoms etc
- her circumstances were specific

hope that sets a scene, and appreciate any guidance. as i have had my own mental health journey, this is just one thing i want to understand given i feel i have moved forward a lot.

thank you kindly
Diet is a massive factor like really and drinking look into veganism it is proven to be the best diet for 99.99% of the people in this world to live on some unique circumstances make it harder but If you are series look at the benifits to a vegan diet with schizophrenia

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I read that you have a 10 percent risk of getting schizophrenia if you have one parent who has it. That is compared to a 1 percent risk if you have no family members who have it. Yes, you are older than most people who get it, so I would think your chances of getting schizophrenia have gone down.

W

Wounded

its very rare for people to develop sch in your ages, your brain is developed and you have rly small chances to develop it. do you have any symptoms?

N

nightmare57

Its much more likely you'll develop Schizophrenia in your teens and 20's. It's become less after that but people do develop psychotic disorders in their 60's mainly affective disorders with a psychotic element.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Schizophrenia Forum 7
T Schizophrenia Forum 5