Risk of developing Psychosis - some help please

J

johnram

I am trying to understand my risk of developing schizophrenia/psychosis, given my mother had it. I have had a lot of trauma, hence the ask.

So for context, my mother had post natal after i was born, but that later became schizophrenia. It has stayed with her since (over 30 years) and has mostly used Depixol to treat it.

Now, we had a traumatic childhood and more trauma beyond, and have gotten through all that. I am now 37 and given the following factors i dont think i have a risk but just want to check and understand:

- my mothers family doesnt have schizophrenia, it appears very situational (bad arranged marriage, first time leaving her home country)
- my father doesnt and neither does any of his family
- my brothers and i have had a traumatic upbringing and that hasnt posed a risk
- i have done lsd twice, and didnt impact me, also did some weed, my brother did some other drugs and was fine
- Have gone through depression and addictions myself and come out ok
- my age is much older than when a man should get it (i am 37 and i believe nearing the drop off for no risk?)
- I dont have any symptoms etc - her circumstances were specific

hope that sets a scene, and appreciate any guidance. as i have had my own mental health journey, this is just one thing i want to understand given i feel i have moved forward a lot.
thank you kindly

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
At the risk of sounding crazy I'll explain.

You either have a good voice or a bad voice, people with a bad voice (like mine) that attacks their senses and their sense of reality are diagnosed with psychosis and schizophrenia.

People with a good voice either don't know they're there or enjoy a great relationship with them.

N

Nought

It's unlikely you'll get it, manage your stress, emotions,develop a support system.

J

johnram

Thank you, i dont think i would either but felt an urge to ask thoughts on residual risks

M

missme

Thank you, i dont think i would either but felt an urge to ask thoughts on residual risks
Keep positive, it's good that you have the insight, to keep managed, I limit all the stress in my life and keep away from negative people or at least limit my interactions with them

P

pem59

It sounds like you are healing, and making good choices, I wish for you more healing, love, light, and health, I hope you live psychosis free, best to you.

G

Girl interupted

From webmd

What Is the Typical Age of Onset for Schizophrenia?

Men and women are equally likely to get this brain disorder, but guys tend to get it slightly earlier. On average, men are diagnosed in their late teens to early 20s. Women tend to get diagnosed in their late 20s to early 30s. People rarely develop schizophrenia before they're 12 or after they're 40.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Y Psychosis Forum 8
unspoken-words Psychosis Forum 2