• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Returning to work

G

Glocks

I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for 4-5 years now, but have only been recently diagnosed. I work for the NHS and have just returned to work on a phase return after been off sick for 5 months.
To my horror, upon returning to work on my 1st day I was presented with a letter giving me an “informal meeting” for been off sick for 3 episodes in the last 12 months (having my gallbladder out was 1 episode) and the letter went on to threaten me with a further “formal meeting” should I be off sick again.
I can’t begin to explain the upset and anger I felt. I would have thought that these people would understand the seriousness of mental health issues and that it makes a mockery out of the nation’s determination to help individuals deal with the subject.
I would appreciate any advice on how to take this further. Going to my union representative is not an option as this person was the one who conducted my back-to-work interview and seemed to have great pleasure in handing me the letter.

Acorn

Acorn

Hello and welcome to the forum :welcome:

That is appalling to treat you that way. You should definitely take it further as it is very inappropriate to do that on your first day back especially on a phased return from mental health. If you can’t go to your union rep can you go to occupational health or your go about the medical impact of such treatment?

wollie

wollie

Your union representative should not have been at your interview to go back to work, I think you should go over his head and see a seperate representative, I agree with Acorn you have been treated terribly.

G

Glocks

Thank you.. that’s interesting and I will take it further