• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Returning to work

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I am due to return to work soon.. although a little aprehensive I am looking forward to getting back to some normality. Pople at work dont know why Ive been off and I am nervous about there questions and enquiries. Does anyone have any answers i can give them without sescribing in detail what has been wrong. Ive had a crisis episode with depression with suicide an Sh attempts.

M

margarete1967

Founding Member
hope all goes well

I hope everything goes well for you returning to work. You were there for me the last week when I felt isolated and alone in my depression. You seem to me to be a strong person especially in the advice you gave me.
I wish I felt strong enough to go to work but the thought terrifies me at the moment. One day I will, as I would love to do volunteer work of some sort.
Sorry I dont have any advice to give you regarding work collegues and questions they may ask. I wouldnt like to go into detail and tell them everything whats being going on in my life-I would probably tell them a pack of lies(i am still ashamed of my illness).
Anyway I wish you good luck and happiness in your work.

by the way nice 1 for The Tigers.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi there, i dont know how long youve been off Intelgal but if its only a few weeks ay youve have some nasty virus and leave it at that. Its no ones business but yours and some people can be very negative with a MH problem. If its been longer im not really sure, I think it depends on what your collegues are like, but i would be tempted to say a virus had knocked hell out of you and it took a long time to recover.

Hopefully after the first day back all will be forgotten and you absence will be old news.

Good luck in getting back to work(y)

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
I hope your return to work goes well Intelgal. Don't think I have any answers for you unfortunately - I am self-employed so only have myself to tell! Would you feel comfortable with telling them that you have depression and leave it at that? Most people will know someone in that situation and they will read into what they can - i.e. some will have a clear idea of how bad things got for you, others will probably not have a clue but that's probably better for you. My limited experience so far is that some people are instinctively understanding about it without me having to go into any detail, and others obviously think I am dwelling on things and could snap out of it if I wanted to, but I kind of (try) to figure that's more their problem than it is mine. It's not necessarily our job to educate them and especially when they are colleagues or acquaintances rather than friends.

When do you go back? Let me know how it goes for you. Take care.

Rollinat
:hug:

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
This is a tough one intelgal. My own advice is to say that you have had Depression. There is no need to go into detail. I would say a couple of things about this...
1.) Most people will be much more understanding than you might anticipate.
2.) Remember that 1 in 4 people will have a mental health problem at some point in their lives, and so a lot of people will either have experience themselves or know someone who has a MH issue.

Now I say this but I know that it is a very tough thing to do and can still remember (though it is over 20 years ago :eek:) how difficult I found it the first time I went back to work after being off with Depression. Even now I am not always open with people about myself at least at first (although I always intend to be!). So if you find the prospect unbearable and it is placing additional burdens on you then I would suggest trying to avoid the topic by saying you'd rather not talk about it. I think actively lying would be likely to place even more strain on you.

I imagine your manager/s at least must know from your sick notes what has been wrong? It is a bit difficult to give specific advice without knowing more about where you work. A good employer should be offering you support and helping you with the return to work process.

Nick.

D

Dollit

Do what you feel comfortable with. If you can talk to someone and want to then do but don't feel you have to broadcast everything. Follow your instinct.

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Thanks everyone.. going to be one of those situation that I think I will have to play by ear.. but hopefully it ll be ok. Got a few more weeks and have got to see what return to work plan will be put in place:D

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
There's a lot of good advice above on this subject Intelgal.

I've often thought that other employees should be too busy getting on with their own jobs rather than worrying about why someone has been off work.
If you have someone at work that you trust it can be helpful to maybe have a quiet word with them and it can sometimes help.

I think you have the right attitude with a 'back to work plan' and I hope it works out well for you (y)

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
The last time i was off for a few months I was introduced back into work very slowly over six weeks. To begin with i only went in 3 mornings and could come and go as i pleased (within reason). Then added one full day to 2 mornings and it was up to me to increase my time when i felt able. As i said this was over approx 6 weeks and it didnt cause too many problems cos its a large company with a very good sickness policy, so non of the staff thought it was anything strange as it had been used on a few occasions.

Does your company have an occupational health nurse that can work out a return programme for you:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 12