• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Returning to work after sick leave from Depression

G

Groot96

Hey guys,

I've been diagnosed with major depression and anxiety and as a result have been given some time off work. However the thought of going back to work fills me with anxiety and stress. No one knows why I have been off and I feel like people may think I was just lying to take time off work. I feel horrible about it. Anyone any tips to make the experience a bit more smoother

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

Hey guys,

I've been diagnosed with major depression and anxiety and as a result have been given some time off work. However the thought of going back to work fills me with anxiety and stress. No one knows why I have been off and I feel like people may think I was just lying to take time off work. I feel horrible about it. Anyone any tips to make the experience a bit more smoother
Hi groot96,

In regard to the job anxiety, understand that you will need to go back to work at some point, so you might as well just go back and return to your life somewhat. What is it in particular that scares you - the scrutiny of colleagues, judgement from the boss...?

In regard to your colleagues, you can do several things. You are completely with your rights to say nothing. If you feel confident and trust your colleagues, you could also tell them the truth. Most people will say that they weren't feeling well. Of course, people will ask questions, but if you don't feel comfortable talking about it, then tell them that you don't feel comfortable with it, and ask them to respect that.

Much love <3

G

Groot96

Hi groot96,

In regard to the job anxiety, understand that you will need to go back to work at some point, so you might as well just go back and return to your life somewhat. What is it in particular that scares you - the scrutiny of colleagues, judgement from the boss...?

In regard to your colleagues, you can do several things. You are completely with your rights to say nothing. If you feel confident and trust your colleagues, you could also tell them the truth. Most people will say that they weren't feeling well. Of course, people will ask questions, but if you don't feel comfortable talking about it, then tell them that you don't feel comfortable with it, and ask them to respect that.

Much love <3
It's more just the whole stigma around mental health that's bothering me. I'm sure they've figured out it's something to do with mental health as my physicial health is okay. I just don't like the feeling of being judged and I'm not sure when to know when the right time is to go back. I just don't feel like I'm ready yet. I've been off the last week and I am not scheduled back until next week. However I feel like asking my doctor for more time off as I don't feel ready. I'm aware this is something I shouldn't keep pushing off but I honestly don't feel ready. When do I know I'm ready? Is there a timeframe? I just feel so stressed and just tired of the whole situation.. it's exhausting.

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

It's more just the whole stigma around mental health that's bothering me. I'm sure they've figured out it's something to do with mental health as my physicial health is okay. I just don't like the feeling of being judged and I'm not sure when to know when the right time is to go back. I just don't feel like I'm ready yet. I've been off the last week and I am not scheduled back until next week. However I feel like asking my doctor for more time off as I don't feel ready. I'm aware this is something I shouldn't keep pushing off but I honestly don't feel ready. When do I know I'm ready? Is there a timeframe? I just feel so stressed and just tired of the whole situation.. it's exhausting.
No one likes being judged, but it's part of human nature. And no one feels like they're ready to work, but they go and do it anyways. Letting this "readiness" stop you again and again doesn't help you, because you admit yourself that you don't know when you'll be ready - in that case, when do you plan to go back? This works just like when people say "I'll do it later" when later can mean any time in the future, but actually means never.

Much love <3

Nexus

Nexus

I have been in this situation many times and I am afraid it never gets any easier.

The longest period I spent off was over five months and at points during that time, I seriously thought I could never get through the front door again. I slept all day and night, ignored phone, door, work.. Thankfully I work in a supported employment project who eventually caught me unawares at home.

It took a further two months after the visit to finally force myself back through the door. Terrifying is the word, however, when you have understanding management and work mates ( with whom I never discussed my absence-It's not their concern) It is easier to settle back in and every employer needs to be non discriminatory to the point of educating all employees on mental health and how it can affect people.

R

rpeters13

Hi Nexus,

Interesting to hear your journey and experience...thanks for sharing. I wondered what your thoughts might be on this: Home page - Return to Work

If you wanted to share your opinion and give some feedback I would be really interested to hear your thoughts. Feel free to ignore, but if you want to talk further my email is [email protected]

*Research has been approved by the Mental Health Forum (Ref Mischief)*