returning to therapy

T

telemetry9

I'm going back to therapy/counselling after living with mental illness for many years now.
My doctor has re-referred me after a very unsuccessful stint with a psychiatrist that really violated my trust and sense of wanting therapy. I'm still not sure I want to go back to talk with someone.
I'm nervous about going back because I don't know what to expect or what it is they might expect of me. I'm wary of being judged or condescended to and the anger this might cause within me. I'm wary of another negative experience happening and being in a worse position than I am now.
I wonder if anyone can tell me what to expect of that first meeting with an NHS "mental health team member" and even if this is a good idea for me.
To be honest - i don't have much hope in it being positive and feel I should just stay away but I feel sort of trapped into it by the system and my doctor's attitude towards me.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
I'm going back to therapy/counselling after living with mental illness for many years now.
My doctor has re-referred me after a very unsuccessful stint with a psychiatrist that really violated my trust and sense of wanting therapy. I'm still not sure I want to go back to talk with someone.
I'm nervous about going back because I don't know what to expect or what it is they might expect of me. I'm wary of being judged or condescended to and the anger this might cause within me. I'm wary of another negative experience happening and being in a worse position than I am now.
I wonder if anyone can tell me what to expect of that first meeting with an NHS "mental health team member" and even if this is a good idea for me.
To be honest - i don't have much hope in it being positive and feel I should just stay away but I feel sort of trapped into it by the system and my doctor's attitude towards me.
I don't think anyone could give much of a general idea about a meeting with an NHS ''mental health team member'' because the experience is likely to be different with every team; and teams are composed in different ways - so I don't know if you are seeing a psychiatrist, clinical psychologist, CPN, counsellor, psychotherapist etc. etc. :)) its a long list of possibles).

All I can say is that is my own experience in nearly all of these categories ranges from the bad to the excellent. Reading people's accounts here, some have had even worse experiences than me, others like me have been very lucky. I think you would be supremely lucky though if you met the best possible combination of therapist/professionals on your first go. And this may not be all down to the standard of the professional - for instance my psychologist who has been a life-saver (and I mean that literally) for me has an approach (sort of neo-Freudian) which other people might find utterly and completely useless; similarly some of the people I found useless might have been good for other people.

I know it is something that I -and others here - bang on and on (and on :)) about but while we share things in common in our experience of depression, our experiences are also unique and the right treatment (whether you are talking about medication, talking therapy or even some of the left-field stuff sometimes discussed here) is also unique.

All of which doesn't help a lot! So practical advice. If you feel that the treatment you are getting isn't benefiting you then make your voice heard and say so. Advice which - like much here - I know it is much easier to give than to follow. I have sat there mutely while people talked a whole pile inapplicable crap (sorry but no other word will do) at me; I really depended on my wonderful wife demanding decent treatment for me. So if you can't do it yourself try to find someone who can do it on your behalf.

The right treatment for you is out there!!! But finding it can sadly be a long process and you may need help. Or - fingers crossed for you - you may get really lucky. But it is an essential journey to make and all journeys have to start with a first step (OH GOD!! now I am sounding like a self-help guru....aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh:redface:).

The very best of luck with it anyway. let us know how you get on.

Nick.

T

telemetry9

thank you

Nick...

I just want to say thank you for the consideration in your reply. You have really helped me bring the possibilities of this experience into perspective. Thank you.

I will go along with an open mind and keep my options open.

Thank you

Robert.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Robert....thanks, delighted if I have been any help :).

Best of luck with it,

Nick.

D

Dollit

Good luck Robert. Go in with low expectations and prepared to work your butt off and things just might be okay. Nick is right - you do have a voice. I don't just talk to my consultant about the way I'm feeling, I also raise with him concerns about how the system works and he feeds back in staff meetings. There are some good people out there, you've just not been fortunate - yet. :hug:

T

telemetry9

Hi,

I'm hoping and praying that this will be a positive experience.

Thank you

Robert.