Return to full time work

J

january

Following over two years being out of work through depression and stress, I have recently experienced a significant improvement in my moods following an increase in my dosage of citalopram.

As a result I have been offered a full time job in a role which has much less stress than my old occupation.

I am applying for the "Return to Work Credit Application Form" which will pay me £40 per week for 52 weeks. However on the form they ask for my employers name and address and telephone number. I am reluctant to apply for the credit if they will be contacting my employer as I did not give them the full background to my reasons for being out of work for so long. I am very conscious that employers do descriminate against people with a history of mental illness and therefore simply told them that I had taken a career break following a sizeable redundancy payment.

If the DWP ring up my new employer I am scared this could open a can of worms and I get sacked before I have even started. I appreciate the employer will be aware that they cannot be seen to discriminate however they will surely be able to dismiss me for failing to tell them the truth about being on benefits for 2 years.

Do you think I should simply forego the Return to Work Credit even though its worth £2k over the next year or will the DWP not actually contact my employer, and is the request for info merely a record keeping exercise.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

M

Michael

Founding Member
Sounds a bit like damned if you do and damned if you don't!

Personally I am a believer in telling the truth - but - why not talk with the citizens advice bureau? they may be able to give some advice that is actually worth something, and it doesn't cost anything.

Be careful of advice from sources that are not accountable for what they tell you, in the end it is up to you.

Best Wishes

Michael

schizolanza

schizolanza

I'd still apply for the credit.You have a good reason for not telling the truth.