• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Rethinks recovery mentioned in magazine they send

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I would like to talk about this recovery that rethink is on about

It's like the old independent living when it gets into the hands of mental health proffessionals it's all about saving resources and closing cases

The more you get people to do something for themselves the less the state has to provide, to be fair theres nothing wrong with that, that is until recovery is used in that way

Rethink been a carers organisation also gets a lot of pressure from carers to allow them to not have to care so much

Trouble is the dwp are also into saving resources and will use recovery to cut benefits to a level were people can't survive so any recovery requires an ability to support yourself in the workplace

I got flamed on the rethink website, i suspect certain people don't want this view expressed, though they'd give other reasons

A

Apotheosis

I do understand your perspective - but I think that you do have to look at the wider picture. If people have proper assistance & support - they have better the potential to recover (in the full sense of the word). Orthodox statistics show that a third of people completely recover, a third make partial recoveries; while having recurrent episodes, & a third remain 'ill'. - This is all with the general woeful lack of proper services & support.

I personally think, that to generally focus on healing, recovery, social integration, wellness & independence, is a very good thing & a step in the right direction. But of course this needs to be balanced with proper support for people that are unwell. Lets face it - the system & society makes people ill & keeps them ill. Anything that can counter, at least to some degree, [the dominance of the orthodox 'sick for life' mentality - that has excluded the word cure from their vocabulary] - has to be a good thing.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Personally at my age i prefered the sick for life approach or rather i'd rather that than have my right to enough benefits to live on questioned by some american neo con doctor

Maybe in the past it might have been better as my psychiatrist said i'm approaching the chronic stage of my illlness, wonder if she means the age when you don't try to get better, remember the chronics alll those years ago in hospital who'd spent decades inside, now under care in the community you spend decades outside