• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Rethinking Madness: Psychosis and Spiritual Awakening

Mr.NiceGuy

Mr.NiceGuy

I don't understand your kundalini awakening, how did this happen? Were you meditating and focusing on points in your body? That's my interpretation of a brief understanding of it. Its funny it mentions the base of the spine as a chakra point, your tail still wags if you feel for it you can make it happen. Thats important to your vestibular.

I think its a rather pleasent experience when the last word to cross my mind becomes the next word on TV, its like I won or something.

Were chakra's supposed to open on 12-12-12? that's what I heard. Evidentally that was the night I thought of sticking my hand outside the universe wall, and a dramatic change in the density of space in an outside dimension, would cause the quarks in m y hand to expand and become blocks of space in this outside dimension, one step closer to gravity and opening the doors to infiniti.How gravity works - Science & Technology - Unexplained Mysteries Discussion Forums

I too felt I was a something else before they labeled me schizophrenic. I think schizophrenic is a negative label to what I think of myself and what I do that causes voices.

B

BrainNoise

ACCOUNT CLOSED
you're kidding me right.

do you know how much training a person must go through to become a shaman - do you know that a shaman by definition is a healer - do you know that shamans travel to the spirit world by going into a deep trance like state, a state of bliss (not psychosis)

E

ettiene.dyer

you're kidding me right.

do you know how much training a person must go through to become a shaman - do you know that a shaman by definition is a healer - do you know that shamans travel to the spirit world by going into a deep trance like state, a state of bliss (not psychosis)
The training never stops. I was called at 11 or 12 years old and I am still learning now at 48. I recommend if you want to discover core shamanism (those aspects held in common between different cultural forms of shamanism world wide) you look into Michael Harner. He is an anthropologist and has dedicated his lifes work to perserving and passing on shamanic practices and cosmologies. He has two books, "The Way of the Shaman" and "The Cave and the Cosmos" which primarily deal with "Journey" work and the ideas behind different cultural practices. You can also look into attending one of his workshops, BUT I recommend you resolve a majority of your Psychosis correctly prior to involving yourself to deeply in shamanic practices.

Chronic psychosis is essentially a psychic\spiritual\existential crisis of the psyche. Although a shaman can help a person experiencing psychosis, and many shamans are called into shamanism via a psychotic experience initiallly, it can not be practiced as a floridly psychotic person.

Don't bother with the works of Carlos Castineda, he was essentially a charlatan, although he and Harner can be accredited for bringing this stuff into modern consciousness in the 60s.

Last edited:
E

ettiene.dyer

Here is one short documentary on a form of shamanism found in South Africa called Sangoma. Notice the drum use which is virtually universal in even the most remote parts of the world and is used for "Journey" work:

Omang? - Xhosa Sangoma - YouTube

B

BrainNoise

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The training never stops. I was called at 11 or 12 years old and I am still learning now at 48. I recommend if you want to discover core shamanism (those aspects held in common between different cultural forms of shamanism world wide) you look into Michael Harner. He is an anthropologist and has dedicated his lifes work to perserving and passing on shamanic practices and cosmologies. He has two books, "The Way of the Shaman" and "The Cave and the Cosmos" which primarily deal with "Journey" work and the ideas behind different cultural practices. You can also look into attending one of his workshops, BUT I recommend you resolve a majority of your Psychosis correctly prior to involving yourself to deeply in shamanic practices.

Chronic psychosis is essentially a psychic\spiritual\existential crisis of the psyche. Although a shaman can help a person experiencing psychosis, and many shamans are called into shamanism via a psychotic experience initiallly, it can not be practiced as a floridly psychotic person.

Don't bother with the works of Carlos Castineda, he was essentially a charlatan, although he and Harner can be accredited for bringing this stuff into modern consciousness in the 60s.
I have read a lot about this, trust me... what i'm trying to get at is why people are attributing schizophrenia to shamanism. they are two separate things.

those two videos are fluff. and anybody who thinks there is a link between psychosis or mental illness and shamanism or mysticism is telling you a bunch of bull.

schizophrenia is predominantly characterized by too much dopamine, right. what about parkinsons disease? they are characterized by not enough dopamine. are they shaman's too?

there is no special thing for insanity.

E

ettiene.dyer

BrainNoise;1491894 there is no special thing for insanity.[/QUOTE said:
Let me answer you naturally, with out a lot of load and propaganda to make you sure about how we should thing.

You tell me, a man rich in humanity and coversent with sobriety, that I should expose you to to your self. I have no power over you.

What i push is the idea that you are.

If you ant to argue with your culture or self forever after Our question, you should, here is the question you sick man, you sick person that can read this far, I consider you a teacher to me and well. Here is your box.....

who are you listening to?

Are you listening to who you live with and are or some contrived bullshit you have to consume and distract from you brothers and sisters with until you choke ?

a shaman does not call him or her self thus. She doesn't alway heal, she is never a droid in the undead dream. She is a boy that pushes herself beyond and into the liminal, inbetween, to the point humanity is expressed even under powerful represessive powers, I reach for you as you claw me back. I envoke science and religion and sprituality and natural physics, so you will draw me and make me iron to your iron, so I can't escape you, so you can not escape me, in spirit or in this material world, I am so bad you enact me. I am onl religious in a very old way and very sicentific way, within reason, where we wish to save more than our selves in our west. I am lost.

E

ettiene.dyer

Oh shit I should be labeled and catergorized and give up the ghost so I can worship a hunk of chease at the end of mouse trap neck.

G

Georgia May

I would think if you told most people in the population that people with schizophrenia could be shamans they would laugh at you and say "why, are you a schizo like? Hahaha". No one thinks people with with schizophrenia are capable of anything (other than killing others), so they would never believe they could be shamans. That's stigma for you.

Most ideas people have about schizophrenia are fairytales made up by the media or/and the powerful, and you have to wonder why they need to deliberately misinform as they do. Is it possible that the link to shamanism and schizophrenia is genuine? Probably. Imagine that. People with schizophrenia who can do something most others can't but in a good way. Shocking.

I

itsmeagain

Do the majority of the population know what a shaman is?
How do You know that no one believes a person with schizophrenia can do anything?

G

Georgia May

Because that's the attitude I've come across. Maybe they wouldn't know what a shaman was but they would probably have a fair few prejudices against people with schizophrenia.

Fair enough, I can't possibly know what every person out there thinks of people with that diagnosis, but I'm only going by what people I know say. If I'm wrong and most people think they are probably shamans then I apologise, but I would doubt it. Given that the only time you hear anything about people with the diagnosis is when they have harmed someone I would be surprised.

E

ettiene.dyer

civilization is built upon the concept that humanity in the raw is something we are ashamed of.

I have found that I can not solve or cure the ills or illness of civilization, but I can strip bare and in public when it is inappropriate but the perfect opportunity.

Last edited: