• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Restraining Order

T

Twylight

My friend Nikki who has had bipolar for over a decade, has always been in denial - she' just been admitted to psych hospital for the third time this year
I have asked her countless times to phone before she calls 'round - but NO she takes no notice - she hammers on my door and shouts through My letterbox
I've spoken to her boyfreind that she's making me ill and to tell her to stay away - if not I'll be taking out a county Court Restraining Order - Then if she calls on me - she'll be arrested

K

kjarva

Hi twylight,

what you need to remember about your friend is that she's sick. I went to uni with an incredibly good person who was very ill with manic depression. In our first year at uni the very bad point of her depression was cutting her arm to the point she severed her nerves in that arm and had to have major plastic surgery on it.

Where has the problem stemmed from yourfriend? Is it a communication problem or have they done something to make you fear for your safety? Ultimately what you need to decide is whether your friend is ill and being a danger to you, whether it is a perceived danger and also what this friendship means to you.

If you fear for your safety and think your friend was capable of physically harming you then you are doing the right thing by getting out of that situation. If you think it may just be a symptom you don't understand and there is no danger to yourself you may want to stick around. Things like these depend entirely on the set of circumstances that surround them :)

Last edited:
T

Twylight

Nikki has no history of BPD or self harm - she will simply not accept she has bipolar and insists she has a phobic condition

She once had a delusion that a metal sculpture in the city centre was put there to electrocute the people of Plymouth, she hired an angle grinder, overalls, and an extension lead and plugged into Macdonalds and attempted to cut it down - she was arrested
I wrote for her an 18 page report of what was in her mind at the time to show the magistrates when she was up in font of them for criminal damage - they read it and dropped the charges
Only three weeks ago i had to put the spare wheel on her car, as she had smashed into the kerb and severely damaged the wheel bursting the tyre
Even when she'e well she rude, manipulative tells lies and i've even caught her making long distance calls on my phone while i'm out.
She's has a horrible attitude and if she was a man , I'd happily spark her out and face charges of Provoked Assault
She' a lost cause !
NO MORE !!!!

M

mad as a hatter

i found it hard 2 execpt i,ve got bipolor it took me 8 yrs 2 take ne medication properly i was convined the doctors where making it up 2 keep me under there control and i thought people where after me i,m not quite as bad as ur friend is tho but i could quite easily slip into it if i don,t work hard at things everyday all i can say is try hang in there with ur friend it might just get better for her it might all click into place 1 day for her i know it,s hard must be a strain for u with her i still feel a lot the things i mention some days especially if i,m low

guggy

guggy

Digesting the diagnosis is not an easy task, I also had problems with this. However, it is important that she accepts it and takes her medication, as research has shown that the rate of cognitive decline is associated with the number of manic episodes during a person's lifetime. Some people end up being unable to concentrate and hold a job, which is rather sad because it is avoidable if the condition is properly treated.

M

mad as a hatter

i am totally sufferin now ause mines isn,t properly medicated due 2 my own down full off refusing 2 tk meds for yrs but for last 6 months i,ve been better but the strange thing is sine i,ve done this i,ve had worse mood swings than i ever did when i wasn,t taken my meds properly work that 1 out

M

maudikie

To twylight.

I suggest you contact the local Mental Health Team and tell them how disturbing your friend/neighbour is. It is probable that she is not taking her medication on a regular basis. The professionals may be able to alter this and ensure that she is doing so, or chage it to a more suitable method of delivery.
Mental illness is difficult to cope with - more so than a physical disability which can be seen. I am sure your friend needs more professional help. If you can get it for her you will be doing her a favour.
Best wishes.