• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Restless, never content, always needing something new including pets

C

Cyamites

I am new here so please forgive me if this is not the right part of the forums to post this, but I could do with some help in connection with my wife.

We have just had an argument because she wants another new puppy, despite having lots of pets already. It seems to me this is part of a bigger picture of never finding contentment and always needing something new. We have had many pets over the years and often, when one of the shorter lives ones, such as a rodent, dies she replaces it with something completely different. We currently have two dogs, two cats, two guinea pigs, a hamster and two African land snails. In the past we have had fish, birds, rabbits, rats, and too many hamsters and gerbils to count. She also frequently re-arranges the furniture and wants every new games console that comes out rather than picking one and building a decent collection of games around it.

This is one of these things that I think may be a question of degree. I know most us like to get new things from time to time but I got go to wondering if, in her case, it is a bit extreme and an indication of something deeper. Could it be? If so what? What would be a good way to try to change or mitigate this?

O

one-less

I am new here so please forgive me if this is not the right part of the forums to post this, but I could do with some help in connection with my wife.

We have just had an argument because she wants another new puppy, despite having lots of pets already. It seems to me this is part of a bigger picture of never finding contentment and always needing something new. We have had many pets over the years and often, when one of the shorter lives ones, such as a rodent, dies she replaces it with something completely different. We currently have two dogs, two cats, two guinea pigs, a hamster and two African land snails. In the past we have had fish, birds, rabbits, rats, and too many hamsters and gerbils to count. She also frequently re-arranges the furniture and wants every new games console that comes out rather than picking one and building a decent collection of games around it.

This is one of these things that I think may be a question of degree. I know most us like to get new things from time to time but I got go to wondering if, in her case, it is a bit extreme and an indication of something deeper. Could it be? If so what? What would be a good way to try to change or mitigate this?
Welcome :)

I'm not an expert so please don't put too much weight on what I tell you. It seems to me that maybe she is looking for a sense of excitement as that tends to come with experiencing something new. If couples counseling is an option maybe look into that so you can figure this out together and give each other support.